Commodore Invitational Day 1 Results
ON CAMPUS IN NASHVILLE -- Megan Huebner's second-place finish in the 5,000 meters and a strong effort in the 200 meters by Regan Clay provided the top Vanderbilt highlight Friday at the Commodore Invitational.
Huebner, a senior who won the Vanderbilt Invitational 5,000 last winter, ran the 5,000 in 17:39.67. She trailed only Tennessee Tech's Purity Sanga, who won in 17:29.53.
Clay, a freshman from Rossford, Ohio, equaled the fifth fastest indoor 200 meters ever by a Commodore with a 24.89 clocking. Clay's ran the quickest 200 by a Commodore since Jenn Edobi was clocked in 24.74 two years ago
Hurbner and Clay were two of five Commodores to participate Friday. Fifteen more teammates are expected to compete Saturday in the Vanderbilt Multipurpose Facility meet.
Clay, a three-time Ohio prep champion, easily captured the sixth of 10 heats in the 200 meters. The race was won by Auburn sophomore Natalliah Whyte in 23.98, which ranks as the third fastest time in the nation this winter.
A second Commodore freshman, Sophia Falco of Lakewood Ranch, Fla., registered an eighth-place finish in the long jump. Falco's best leap was 17'10.75".
On Saturday, Edobi, Sarah Bell and Courtney Clayton will lead the Commodores into competition. Edobi, a 400-meter specialist, will run the 800 meters and a leg on the 4x400-meter relay. Clayton, an outdoor All-American at 800 meters last summer, will join Ebodi on the relay and run the mile. Bell will compete in the pole vault where she owns the team indoor and outdoor records.
The full list of Commodores competing Saturday follows:
• Pole Vault - Sarah Bell, Caleigh Lofstead, Margaret Ollinger, Kristen Denk
• 60 meters - Sophia Falco, Regan Clay, Erin Hardnett
• 800 meters - Becca Schulte, Jenn Edobi
• Mile - Reagan Bustamante, Courtney Clayton, Kendall Derry, Ginger Hutton, Mailin Struck, Kacie Breeding, Reagan Anderson, Devon Grisbaum
• 3,000 meters - Anna Grace Morgan, Gillian Mortimer
• 4x400-meter relay - Jenn Edobi, Becca Schulte, Courtney Clayton, Reagan Bustamante
Running events start Saturday at 10 a.m., continuing until 5:15 p.m. Field events are scheduled from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.