VANDERBILT TRACK: HOME MEET INFORMATION
The following links are designed to provide information to teams and athletes that will compete in track & field competitions hosted by Vanderbilt University. The Commodore meet staff will update the information below as often as needed leading up to each event. Should you have questions about a meet, including scheduling, acceptance into a meet and any other general questions, please contact our meet direction staff below.
2016 Great 8 High School Invitational
Date: Tuesday, May 3, 2016 – Vanderbilt Outdoor Track Complex - Nashville, TN
Admission: $5…track opens at 5:00 PM
Meet Director: Mike Ham, email: VanderbiltTrackOfficials@gmail.com
ABOUT THE GREAT 8
Since 2000, the Great 8 meet has attracted the best High School Track and Field athletes in Middle Tennessee and pits them against each other in a fast-paced, entertaining meet on Vanderbilt’s lightning-fast Mondo track. There is only one section/flight of each event, and so only the best eight performances are accepted into the meet, along with the next 3 performances as alternates in those events. Great 8 Meet T-shirts will be awarded to all event winners (1 per athlete), including relay team members. T-shirts will also be available for purchase at the meet. A Boy’s and Girl’s MVP award will be presented at the end of the meet.
Meet entries must be submitted online at Direct Athletics at directathletics.com. It is the Coaches responsibility to ensure entries were properly saved in the Direct Athletics system.
Entries will not be accepted via mail, fax, or in the body of an email.
Entry fee is $10 per athlete per event and $20 for relay teams. Note that you will only be charged if the athlete is accepted into the meet, either as a top 8 athlete or as an alternate. Final lists of accepted entries will be posted on the Vanderbilt T&F website at www.vucommodores.com on Monday evening no later than 6:00 PM.
A few notes:
1) Do not submit false or project seeding performances; they will be rejected. Seed marks should be actual performances from a 2016 outdoor meet or a 2015-2016 indoor meet. All marks must be verifiable on MileSplit. It is required that you provide a link to the MileSplit entry being used as the qualifying mark. ONLY results posted on MileSplit will be accepted.
2) You may enter an athlete in the 1600m or 3200m using a 1 mile time for the 1600m or 3000m/2 mile time for 3200m. Any 1 mile/3000m/2 mile times will be converted using the conversion tool on MileSplit.
3) For races 800m in length and under, only FAT marks will be accepted.
4) In the horizontal jumps and sprints (including high hurdles), where two or more athletes’ seed marks are tied, preference will be given to the athlete with the superior 2nd best performance.
5) Do not enter athletes in more than 2 individual events, excluding relays (an athlete may be entered into 2 individual events and 1 relay). The tight schedule doesn’t accommodate otherwise.
6) If an athlete scratches form an event, they will not be allowed to compete in subsequent events and will be scratched from all events they have already competed. The no scratch rule will be retroactive. This will be strictly enforced. (A few thoughts from the meet director about this rule: The idea here is to fill all 8 lanes. An injury will not be considered a scratch IF this information is relayed to us before or within the check-in period noted in #11 below. If,however, an athlete is scratched after check-in has closed the no scratch rule will be applied. Remember, we have 3 alternates waiting/hoping to get into this meet, let’s all give them a fair opportunity to do so in the event one of the top 8 athletes is unable to compete.
7) All entries and final declarations are due by 11:59pm on Friday, April 29th, 2016.
8) If paying by check, please make checks payable to Vanderbilt University. No money orders.
9) There will be a descending order performance list that automatically updates available to view on Direct Athletics.
10) Field Event check-in: Check-in for field events will take place at the respective venue. Athletes are to check-in no less that 30-minutes prior to field event start time. All venues will open at 5:30 pm for warm-ups. Competition will begin promptly at 6 pm.
11) Running Event check-in: The Clerk of Course is located in the shed at the top of the straight. Athletes are to report to the Clerk of Course no more than 20-mintes prior to the scheduled start time and no less than 10-minutes prior to the scheduled start time. Once checked-in athletes will NOT be allowed to leave (Note: The Clerk of Course area is off limits to coaches). At 10-minutes prior to scheduled start time event check-in will be closed. If an athlete is not checked in at that time they will be scratched and subsequently scratched from the entire meet (See #6 above).
The following performances are to serve as entry guidelines. Lesser performances than those listed in the table below rarely, but sometimes, make the meet. Meeting these guidelines does not guarantee entry into the meet.
Event -- Girls, Boys
100m -- 12.75, 11.25
200m -- 26.50, 22.50
400m -- 1:00.00, 51.00
800m -- 2:23.00, 1:59.50
1600m -- 5:24.00, 4:40.00
3200m -- 12:15.00, 10:10.00
100m/110m Hurdles -- 16.25, 16.50
300m Hurdles -- 48.00, 43.00
High Jump -- 5ʼ0", 5ʼ10"
Pole Vault -- 9ʼ6", 11ʼ
Long Jump -- 15ʼ9", 19ʼ6"
Triple Jump -- 34ʼ6", 40ʼ
Shot -- 35ʼ, 41ʼ
Discus -- 120ʼ, 128ʼ
4 x 100m Relay -- 50.00, 44.50
4 x 400m Relay -- 4:12.00, 3:40.00
Team Scoring: There will NOT be team scoring.
Questions: Email Meet Director Mike Ham at VanderbiltTrackOfficials@gmail.com
Important information regarding spikes on the Vanderbilt track:
Athletes will not run if you do not comply with these rules:
• The use of 1/4" pyramid spikes will be strictly enforced
• NO NEEDLE SPIKES OR CHRISTMAS TREE SPIKES ALLOWED • No permanent spike shoes allowed
• Shoes will be checked at last call in the Clerk Area and prior to getting on the track
There will be a $5 admission charge for all spectators. Children under the age of 12 admitted free.
Coaches will receive passes with their competition packet.
2016 GREAT 8 MEET SCHEDULE
(Track opens at 5 pm)
6:00pm Pole Vault, Girls then boys (opening heights: 9ʼ / 11ʼ)
6:00pm Shot, Girls then boys
6:00pm Long Jump, Girls then boys (4 attempts)
7:00pm High Jump, Girls then boys (Opening heights: 4ʼ10" / 5ʼ8”)
7:30pm Discus, Girls then boys
7:45pm Triple Jump, Girls then boys (4 attempts)
6:30pm: 4 x 100m Relay, Girls then boys
6:40pm: 1600m, Girls then boys
7:00pm: 100m Hurdles
7:10pm: 110m Hurdles
7:20pm: 100m, Girls then boys
7:30pm: 400m, Girls then boys
7:45pm: 300m Hurdles, Girls then boys
8:00pm: 800m, Girls then boys
8:10pm: 200m, Girls then boys
8:20pm: Girls 3200m
8:35pm: Boys 3200m
8:50pm: 4 x 400m Relay, Girls then boys
Important Information Regarding Spikes on Vanderbilt Track
Athletes will not run if you do not comply with these rules
· The use of 1/4" pyramid spikes will be strictly enforced
· NO NEEDLE SPIKES OR CHRISTMAS TREE SPIKES ALLOWED
· No permanent spike shoes allowed
· Shoes will be checked at last call in the Clerk Area and prior to getting on the track
Women's Track Headlines