Feb. 28, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The No. 8 Vanderbilt women's tennis team started its conference season off on the right foot knocking off No. 33 Arkansas, Friday at the Currey Tennis Center in Nashville. The Commodores handed the Razorbacks a 6-1 loss and clinched the match with a 6-1, 7-5 win at No. 4 singles.
Vanderbilt (8-3, 1-0 SEC) continued its strong doubles play, clinching the point with wins at No. 1 and No. 3. No. 36 Courtney Colton and Lauren Mira got off the court first with an easy 8-1 win over No. 38 Kimberley-An Surin and Brittany Huxley.
In all eight matches the Commodores have won this season they have won the doubles point.
Altick put together a great performance at No. 2 singles to put the `Dores up 2-0. The sophomore won love and love over Arkansas' Shannon Hudson. Altick is now 8-2 in dual play this season, improving to 19-5 overall.
Arkansas was able to get on the board with an upset win at No. 1, as Yang Pang knocked off 80th-ranked Sellyn, 6-3, 6-1.
Vanderbilt would cruise in each of the remaining four matches, winning all four in straight sets.
Casares picked up her 13th-consecutive match win and set up the clinch, winning 6-3, 6-3 at No. 5 singles.
The lone Vanderbilt senior in Mira was able to clinch the match at No. 4, winning a tough second set 7-5 after winning easily, 6-1, in the first.
Coming in right behind Mira was Colton, who won at battle at No. 3. The sophomore defeated Arkansas' Surin, 6-4, 6-4.
Antal, who playing at No. 6 started play after the first singles got off, nearly finished before Colton as she won handily, 6-1, 6-0.
The Commodores will face LSU on Sunday at 1 p.m., at the Currey Tennis Center.
#8 Vanderbilt 6, #33 Arkansas 1
1. Yang Pang (AR) def. #60 Georgina Sellyn (VU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Frances Altick (VU) def. Shannon Hudson (AR) 6-0, 6-0
3. #81 Courtney Colton (VU) def. Kimberley-Ann Surin (AR) 6-4, 6-4
4. Lauren Mira (VU) def. Sarah McLean (AR) 6-1, 7-5
5. Marie Casares (VU) def. Sasha Shkorupeieva (AR) 6-3, 6-3
6. Ashleigh Antal (VU) def. Brittany Huxley (AR) 6-1, 6-0
1. #36 Courtney Colton/Lauren Mira (VU) def. #38 Kimberley-Ann Surin/Brittany Huxley (AR) 8-1
2. #50 Marie Casares/Ashleigh Antal (VU) vs. Sarah McLean/Shannon Hudson (AR) 7-3, unfinished
3. Frances Altick/Georgina Sellyn (VU) def. Sasha Shkorupeieva/Yang Pang (AR) 8-2
Arkansas 5-5, 0-1 SEC; National ranking #33
Vanderbilt 8-3, 1-0 SEC; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,1,5,4,3,6)