May 8, 2013
The Vanderbilt track and field team heads to the 2013 SEC Outdoor Track & Field Championships this week, set for May 9-12 at the University of Missouri's Audrey J. Walton Stadium. The entire meet can be seen live on MUTigers.com and ESPN3.com.
The Commodores will carry one of their deepest squads in recent memory to the meet, as black and gold athletes will enter with top-75 regional times in the 1,500 meters, 5K, 10K, 400 hurdles, steeplechase, high jump, pole vault and heptathlon.
"We have a very good chance to score in every event that we've entered in," said Head Coach Steve Keith.
*Note all athlete participation is tentiative and subject to change. All times listed are Central and local to site.
Sara Barron, Kristen Findley, Hannah Jumper & Lily Williams
Prelims - Saturday, 4:00 p.m.
Finals - Sunday, 3:30 p.m.
- Barron and Findley among the top-15 times in the league this season
- Findley placed fourth at last year's outdoor championships
Liz Anderson, Jordan White, Allie Scalf, Vanessa Valentine, Grace Orders, Kristen Smith, Claire Benjamin & Hannah Jumper
Sunday, 6:00 p.m.
- Anderson, White & Scalf among the top-15 times in the SEC this year
- Smith, Orders & White were all in the top 10 at last year's SEC Outdoor meet
400 meter hurdles
Faith Washington & Jennifer Cannon
Prelims - Friday, 7:40 p.m.
Finals - Sunday, 5:10 p.m.
- Washington and Cannon have the fifth and sixth best times in SEC, respectively
- Duo are the SEC's fastest two freshmen in the event
Brionne Williams & Ellie Tidman
Saturday, 4:00 p.m.
- Williams and Tidman are 10th and 12th, respectively, in the league this year
- Williams was seventh at the 2013 indoor championships, while Tidman was sixth at the 2012 outdoor meet
Saturday, 2:30 p.m.
- 17th best mark in the league this season
- Placed 11th at the 2012 outdoor meet
Thursday & Friday
- Has the second best point total by a freshman this season
- Owns the fifth-best score in program history
Catching Up With Head Coach Steve Keith
On scoring in the running events...
"The first step to scoring in any running event is getting to the finals. We'd like to get a couple of kids into the final in the 1,500. I know the steeplers are ready to try and score top eight and if they do that, they'll set a school record."
On the 10,000 meters...
"Liz (Anderson) and I still have to come up with a good plan for some options for her during the race. She's fired up to really test herself. Allie (Scalf) and Grace (Orders) are going to be looking at scoring spots, too."
On the high jump...
"Ellie (Tidman) scored at outdoors last year and Brionne (Williams) scored at indoors this year. It's a really tough event, but they're all getting tough. Their experience can help them a lot this year."
On the 400 hurdles...
"(Jennifer Cannon and Faith Washington) On the other side of the experience spectrum are freshmen in the 400 hurdles. Their physical level is where they need to be. They don't have to do anything different and that should be able to get them a lane in the final."
On the preparation for the SEC Championships...
"Any sport psychologist will tell you you have to look at it like the first meet of the year, not any different. You get the line, they shoot a gun and you run."