NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Vanderbilt women’s tennis team will dive back into the field of competition this weekend, opening the fall tournament season in Athens, Ga.
The Dores begin the 2018 season with a round-robin event against student-athletes from Georgia, Clemson, Missouri and Vanderbilt. On Friday at 9 a.m. CT, the Commodores square off against members of Clemson’s team.
Tournament play was originally scheduled to be in Puerto Rico as part of the Puerto Rico Fall Classic, however due to the recent hurricanes impacting the Caribbean, Georgia will serve as host.
The three-day fall tournament will consist of singles and doubles matches. The individual results count for the student-athletes, but no team score is kept throughout fall play. An individual championship match will be played to determine an event champion.
This weekend’s field consists of six ranked singles players, with Vandy fielding No. 47 Christina Rosca, No. 63 Fernanda Contreras and No. 112 Emma Kurtz. In doubles, Contreras and Emily Smith team up as the 17th-ranked dup in the country.
Head coach Geoff Macdonald and associate head coach Aleke Tsoubanos welcomed their newest student-athletes to Vanderbilt as fall practice began last week. VU secured the sixth-ranked recruiting class in the nation (TennisRecruiting.net; 5/29/17), and look to debut freshmen Lauren Gish and Amanda Meyer in the Vanderbilt black and gold.
No live stats will be available throughout match play.
- 9 AM – Vanderbilt & Clemson singles
- 12:30 PM –Vanderbilt & Missouri doubles
- 12:30 PM –Georgia & Clemson doubles
- 1:30 PM –Georgia & Missouri singles
Saturday session I
- 9 AM - Georgia & Missouri doubles
- 9 AM - Vanderbilt & Clemson doubles
- 10 AM - Georgia & Vanderbilt singles
- 10 AM- Missouri & Clemson singles
Saturday session II
- 1 PM - Georgia & Clemson singles
- 1 PM - Missouri & Vanderbilt singles
- 9 AM - Georgia & Vanderbilt doubles
- 9 AM - Clemson & Missouri doubles
- 10 AM - Additional singles matches