The No. 8 Vanderbilt women's tennis team garnered the doubles point and five singles matches en route to a 6-1 win over Arkansas on Friday at the Currey Tennis Center.
In doubles action, VU's duo of senior Audra Falk and freshman Amanda Taylor made quick work of the Arkansas tandem of Maryori Franco and Karina Ledaja at the No. 1 position. Falk and Taylor claimed the match, 8-1.
Vanderbilt clinched the point at the third slot, where VU senior Annie Menees and freshman Caroline Ferrell dismantled the Lady Razorback combo of Yawna Allen and Audrey Bordeleau, 8-4.
The No. 41 Commodore tandem of Taka Bertrand and Amanda Taylor fell for only the fourth time this season, 8-3 at the second position.
The Dores needed three singles wins to clinch the match and move to 4-1 in SEC play.
Coach Geoff Macdonald's squad nabbed five.
VU's Taylor pushed the Commodore lead to 2-0 with her straight set win over the Lady Razorback's Melissa Cornett. The victory was Taylor's 13th of her career.
The Razorbacks quickly closed the gap on the Dores, notching their first point of the day the top slot where UA's Vlatka Jovanovic tripped VU's Falk, 6-2, 6-2.
VU's Fish countered the Lady Razorback point with a victory of her own at No. 3. VU's super-soph downed UA's Iliana Pacheco in straights, 6-3, 6-3.
The Commodores clinched the match at the No. 4 slot where UA's Yawna Allen retired due to injury in the second set. Allen claimed the first frame, 7-6, but VU's Menees led 2-1 when the injury occurred.
VU went on to claim the two remaining matches at Nos. 3 and 6.
At. No. 3, VU's Bertrand fought back from a first set defeat to claim the next two in convincing fashion, 6-2, 6-2.
Freshman Ferrell capped the Commodore triumph with her thrilling win in the third set super-tiebreaker, 10-6.
The Dores return to the Currey Tennis Center on Sunday to host LSU. Match time is slated for Noon.
1. Falk/Taylor (VU) def. Franco/Ledaja (UA), 8-1
2. Jovanovic/Cornett (UA) def. Bertrand/Fish (VU), 8-3
3. Ferrell/Menees (VU) def. Allen/Bordeleau (UA), 8-4
Order: 1, 3, 2
1. Vlatka Jovanovic (UA) def. Audra Falk (VU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Amanda Fish (VU) def. Iliana Pacheco (UA), 6-3, 6-3
3. Taka Bertrand (VU) def. Maryori Franco (UA), 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. Amanda Taylor (VU) def. Melissa Cornett (UA), 6-3, 6-2
5. Annie Menees (VU) def. Yawna Allen (UA), 6-7, 2-1 ret.*
6. Caroline Ferrell (VU) def. Karina Ledaja (UA), 4-6, 6-4, 10-6+
Order: 4, 1, 2, 5, 3, 6