FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- The Vanderbilt Commodores (11-2, 3-0) notched their third SEC win of the season on Friday against Arkansas (4-4, 0-3) 6-1.
The Commodores got off to a rocky start when they dropped the doubles point 2-1. The 'Dores picked up their only doubles win at No. 3 with freshmen tandem Courtney Ulery and Liberty Sveke. Amanda Taylor and Maggie Yahner played the clinching match at No. 2, but dropped the proset after loosing their 5-3 lead
The 'Dores followed with two quick wins at No. 2 with Taka Bertrand (6-1, 6-1) and No. 6 with Liberty Sveke (6-3, 6-2) to put the team up 2-1. Sveke was returning to singles play after sitting out the last three contests.
"Liberty had been doing well in practice and just deserved a shot at singles," VU Assistant Coach Meike Babel said. "It was super windy, but Taka and Liberty did a really good job handling the wind, and they got us ahead quickly."
After dropping her first match against Karina Ledaja 6-2, freshman Courtney Ulery overcame a two game deficit in the second set to take the win 6-2, leading to a final tiebreaker set. Ulery defeated the Lady 'Back 6-4 to notch another match point for the 'Dores.
"This morning we did a great job fighting and competing and not letting our heads hang after doubles, which is really easy to do," Babel said.
The 'Dores fly out on Saturday to face LSU (7-3, 0-2) on Sunday in Baton Rouge.
Tennis Match Results
Friday, March 10, 2006
Wal-Mart Life and Fitness Center
Vanderbilt 6, Arkansas 1
1. Amanda Fish (VU) def. Aurelija Miseviciute (UA) 7-6(3), 6-2
2. Taka Bertrand (VU) def. Vlatka Jovanovic (UA) 6-1, 6-1
3. Amanda Taylor (VU) def. Ela Kaluder (UA) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
4. Courtney Ulery (VU) def. Karina Ledaja (UA) 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
5. Caroline Ferrell (VU) def. Maryori Franco 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Liberty Sveke (VU) def. Audrey Bordeleau (UA) 6-3, 6-2
1. Karina Ledaja/Maryori Franco (UA) def. Amanda Fish/Taka Bertrand (VU) 8-5
2. Aurelija Miseviciute/Ela Kaluder (UA) def. Amanda Taylor/Maggie Yahner (VU)
3. Liberty Sveke/Courtney Ulery def. Melissa Cornett/Audrey Bordeleau (UA) 8-2