May 10, 2013
CLEMSON, S.C. - Vanderbilt breezed to a 4-0 win over Indiana to advance to the second round of the NCAA Tournament at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center.
Vanderbilt (16-11) will play the winner of No. 1 seed Clemson and No. 4 seed Eastern Kentucky Saturday at 10 a.m. CT.
The Commodores jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after taking the doubles point. Ashleigh Antal and Marie Casares defeated Alecia Kauss and Shannon Murdy at the No. 2 position, 8-4. In No. 3 doubles, Frances Altick and Georgina Sellyndowned Katie Klyczek and Sophie Garre, by a score of 8-4, as well.
Sellyn then extended Vanderbilt's lead to 2-0 after a win in No. 3 singles. Sellyn defeated Carolyn Chupa in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1. The win makes Sellyn 23-9 overall this season and 17-7 in dual action.
After three sets, Antal brought the Commodores within a point of clinching the match. The sophomore defeated Garre, 6-2, 2-6, 6-2, to give Antal her team-leading 24th overall singles win of the season. She is 19-5 during dual play.
Altick clinched the win with her victory over Jithmie Jayawickrema in No. 6 singles. The Monroe, La., native won in straight sets, 7-6, 6-3.
The winner of the Clemson Regional will advance to the NCAA Championships in Urbana, Ill., May 17-21, at the Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex hosted by the University of Illinois.
1. No. 63 Lauren Mira (VU) vs. No. 115 Leslie Hureau (IU) 4-6, 6-5, unfinished
2. Courtney Colton (VU) vs. No. 114 Katie Klyczek (IU) 4-6, 6-4, 1-1, unfinished
3. No. 95 Georgina Sellyn (VU) def. Carolyn Chupa (IU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Marie Casares (VU) vs. Alecia Kauss (IU) 5-7, 6-3, 0-3, unfinished
5. Ashleigh Antal (VU) def. Sophie Garre (IU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
6. Frances Altick(VU) def. Jithmie Jayawickrema (IU) 7-6, 6-3
1. No. 12 Colton/Mira (VU) vs. No. 55 Hureau/Chupa (IU) 6-4, unfinished
2. Antal/Casares (VU) def. Kauss/Murdy (IU) 8-4
3. Altick/Sellyn (VU) def. Garre/Klyczek (IU) 8-4
Order of Finish