April 5, 2013
LEXINGTON, Ky. – No. 17 Vanderbilt took care of business Friday afternoon by handing Kentucky its fifth-straight loss with a 5-2 win at the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex.
The Commodores (13-9, 6-5) have now won the last 11 meetings in the series with Kentucky, who fell to 12-10 overall and 3-8 in SEC competition.
To begin the match, Vanderbilt used a couple different doubles combinations en route to winning the doubles point. In the No. 2 position, Frances Altick and Ashleigh Antal teamed up for just the second time all season. The Vandy duo defeated Edmee Morin-Kougoucheff and CeCe Witten, 8-5. Altick and Antal are 2-0 when playing together in doubles.
In No. 3 doubles, Marie Casares and Georgina Sellyn shared the court together for the first time as Commodores. Casares and Sellyn needed little time to defeat Khristina Blajkevitch and Jessica Stiles, 8-2.
Vanderbilt clinched the match by winning singles matches at position Nos. 2, 3, 4 and 6. Courtney Colton delivered the match-clinching win in the No. 2 position. The Davie, Fla., native defeated Jessica Stiles in straight sets, 6-0, 6-2.
Casares improved to 6-1 on the season when playing in the No. 3 position. The sophomore defeated Khristina Blajkevitch, 6-2, 6-0.
Playing in the No. 4 spot, Sellyn recorded her fifth-consecutive win after breezing through her match with Kirsten Lewis, 6-0, 6-0. The Glasgow, Scotland, native is 21-6 overall this season and 10-1 in SEC play.
Altick tacked on another point for Vanderbilt with a three-set win in the No. 6 singles over Stephanie Fox, 6-1, 2-6, 1-0 (10-3). The freshman from Monroe, La., registered her 20th singles win of the season, while improving to 15-5 in dual action.
Antal lost for just the third time during the dual season after having to retire from the match versus Caitlin McGraw in No. 5 singles. Antal dropped the first set, 7-6(7) and was trailing 2-0 in the second set when the match was stopped.
Nadia Ravita recorded Kentucky’s final point by defeating Lauren Mira in No. 1 singles, 7-5, 6-3.
Vanderbilt completes the SEC regular season with home matches versus South Carolina next Friday, April 12 at 4 p.m. and Florida on Sunday, April 14 at 1 p.m.
1. No. 24 Nadia Ravita (UK) def. No. 61 Lauren Mira (VU) 7-5, 6-3
2. Courtney Colton (VU) def. Jessica Stiles (UK) 6-0, 6-2
3. Marie Casares (VU) def. Khristina Blajkevitch (UK) 6-2, 6-0
4. No. 83 Georgina Sellyn (VU) def. Kirsten Lewis (UK) 6-0, 6-0
5. Caitlin McGraw (UK) def. Ashleigh Antal (VU) 7-6 (7), 2-0, retired
6. Frances Altick (VU) def. Stephanie Fox (UK) 6-1, 2-6, 1-0(10-3)
1. No. 77 McGraw/Ravita (UK) vs. No. 18 Colton/Mira (VU) 4-5, unfinished
2. Altick/Antal (VU) def. Morin-Kougoucheff/Witten (UK) 8-5
3. Casares/Sellyn (VU) def. Blajkevitch/Stiles (UK) 8-2
Order of finish