March 30, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The 10th-ranked Vanderbilt women's tennis team didn't have any issues dispatching No. 20 Auburn two days after an emotional win over sixth-ranked Alabama. The Commodores picked up their fifth shutout win of the season, taking down the Tigers 4-0, Sunday at the Currey Tennis Center.
Vanderbilt (16-4, 9-1 SEC) won the doubles point for the 15th time this season in impressive fashion. The `Dores picked up the first of two wins at the No. 3 position, where Marie Casares and Frances Altick notched the quick 8-1 win over Auburn's threes. No. 35 Ashleigh Antal and Sydney Campbell clinched the point with an 8-2 win at No. 2.
The Commodores continued the hot play in singles, winning all six first sets.
Campbell improved to 6-2 in SEC play picking up a quick win at No. 2 singles. The 68th-ranked freshman from Franklin, Tenn., defeated No. 75 Emily Flickinger 6-2, 6-2 to put the Commodores up 2-0.
Ashleigh Antal notched the next point for the `Dores winning 6-1, 6-3 at No. 6 singles.
Georgina Sellyn clinched the match with her sixth ranked win of the season. No. 91 Sellyn defeated 32nd-ranked Burgmans in straight sets to improve to 24-14 on the year. The sophomore won 6-2, 6-1 at the top position.
Altick, Casares and Colton all went unfinished.
Altick was at 4-4 in the second set after cruising to a 6-0 in the first set when the match was called.
Casares was denied her 22nd-straight win and 30th of the year as she went unfinished with the match nearly completed. After winning a long first set 6-4, Casares was up 5-0 in the second when the match was called.
Colton was down big in the first set and stormed back to a 6-4 win and went unfinished 0-1 in the second.
Vanderbilt will play its final regular season home match on Saturday, April 5 at noon against Kentucky. The match will be the final home regular season match for senior Lauren Mira. Following the match against the Wildcats the Commodores will close out the regular season on the road with match at Florida (4/11) and South Carolina (4/13).
#10 Vanderbilt 4, #20 Auburn 0
1. #91 Georgina Sellyn (VU) def. #32 Pleun Burgmans (AU) 6-2, 6-1
2. #68 Sydney Campbell (VU) def. #75 Emily Flickinger (AU) 6-2, 6-2
3. #67 Frances Altick (VU) vs. Paula de Man (AU) 6-0, 4-4, unfinished
4. #85 Marie Casares (VU) vs. Michala Kucharova (AU) 6-4, 5-0, unfinished
5. #99 Courtney Colton (VU) vs. Jackie Kasler (AU) 6-4, 0-1, unfinished
6. Ashleigh Antal (VU) def. Jen Pfeifler (AU) 6-1, 6-3
1. #63 Courtney Colton/Lauren Mira (VU) vs. #19 Pleun Burgmans/Emily Flickinger (AU) 4-4, unfinished
2. #35 Ashleigh Antal/Sydney Campbell (VU) def. Michala Kucharova/Jen Pfeifler (AU) 8-2
3. Frances Altick/Marie Casares (VU) def. Jackie Kasler/Paula de Man (AU) 8-1
Auburn 15-6, 5-4 SEC; National ranking #20
Vanderbilt 16-4, 9-1 SEC; National ranking #10
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (2,6,1)