March 29, 2013
AUBURN, Ala. – No. 19 Vanderbilt put an end to its three-match losing streak with a 5-2 win over No. 22 Auburn Friday afternoon at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.
With the win, Vanderbilt (12-8, 5-4) has now won 22-straight versus Auburn (14-5, 4-4) and lead the overall series 24-14.
The Tigers won doubles point after three tough matches in the Nos. 1 and 2 positions. At No. 1, Pleun Burgmans and Plamena Kurteva took down Courtney Colton and Lauren Mira, 8-6, in a battle of highly-ranked duos. In the No. 2 position, Emily Flickinger and Jackie Kasler defeated Ashleigh Antal and Marie Casares, 8-5.
Despite losing the doubles point, the Commodores regrouped to win five of the six matches in singles. Auburn’s lone win in singles came in the No. 1 position where Burgmans defeated Mira, 6-2, 7-6.
Casares needed three sets to defeat Flickinger in the No. 2 position, 6-1, 4-6, 7-5. In the No. 3 spot, Colton also needed three sets to record her 19th victory of the season. The freshman defeated Michala Kucharova, 6-2, 2-6, 6-0.
Sellyn notched her eighth win (8-1) in conference play by defeating Pfeifler in the No. 4 position, 6-0, 6-4. The Glasgow, Scotland, native is 13-4 in dual play and 19-6 overall.
In No. 5 singles, Antal took down Kasler, 6-3, 6-1. The win for Antal gives her 20 wins for the season and is 15-2 in dual play. Her 20 wins lead the team, while her eight conference victories are tied for the team lead.
To wrap up the match, Altick defeated Kurteva, 6-3, 6-4. Altick is one of four Commodores to have at least 19 total wins this season.
The Commodores take on No. 8 Alabama Sunday at 1 p.m. before making the trip to Kentucky next Friday, April 5, at 11 a.m.
1. No. 36 Pleun Burgmans (AU) def. No. 61 Lauren Mira (VU) 6-2, 7-6
2. Marie Casares (VU) def. Emily Flickinger (AU) 6-1, 4-6, 7-5
3. Courtney Colton (VU) def. Michala Kucharova (AU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-0
4. No. 83 Georgina Sellyn (VU) def. Jen Pfeifler (AU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Ashleigh Antal (VU) def. Jackie Kasler (AU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Frances Altick (VU) def. Plamena Kurteva (AU) 6-3, 6-4
1. No. 26 Burgmans/Kurteva (AU) def. No. 18 Colton/Mira (VU) 8-6
2. Flickinger/Kasler (AU) def. Antal/Casares (VU) 8-5
3. Altick/Sellyn (VU) def. Pfeifler/Schippers (AU) 8-4
Order of finish