March 24, 2013
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - No. 16 Vanderbilt dropped its third-straight match after falling at 28th-ranked Tennessee, 4-2, Sunday afternoon at the Goodfriend Tennis Center.
The Commodores (11-8 overall, 4-4 SEC) are 22-34 all-time versus the Lady Vols (7-6 overall, 5-2 SEC) following the loss on Sunday.
Tennessee started the match by taking the doubles point, as the Lady Vols won in the top two doubles positions. In No. 1 doubles, Tennessee's fourth-ranked team of Brynn Boren and Kata Szekely defeated Courtney Colton and Lauren Mira, 8-2. Joanna Henderson and Caitlyn Williams then defeated Ashleigh Antal and Marie Casares by the same score, 8-2, in the No. 2 spot.
Szekely then picked up the first singles victory of the day after defeating Casares, 6-3, 6-0, in No. 2 singles. Szekely's doubles partner, Boren, made it 3-0 in favor of the Lady Vols after recording the win in No. 1 singles. Boren defeated Mira, 6-0, 6-1.
The Commodores got on the scoreboard after Antal defeated Henderson in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3, at the No. 4 position. Antal is 14-2 in dual play and now 7-1 in SEC action.
Georgina Sellyn closed the gap to, 3-2, with a win in the No. 5 position. Sellyn defeated Mimi Fotopoulos, 6-0, 6-1. The Glasgow, Scotland, native is 12-4 during the dual season, while tied with Antal for the team lead in SEC victories with seven (7-1).
However, Tennessee would clinch the match after Tiffany Tavares' win in the No. 6 spot over Frances Altick. The two players battled for three sets before Tavares came out on top, 1-6, 6-3, 6-1.
Vanderbilt continues its five-match road trip with stops at Auburn next Friday, March 29 at 3 p.m. and Alabama next Sunday at 1 p.m.
1. No. 20 Brynn Boren (UT) def. No. 46 Lauren Mira (VU) 6-0, 6-1
2. No. 40 Kata Szekely (UT) def. Marie Casares (VU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Caitlyn Williams (UT) vs. Courtney Colton (VU) 6-4, 1-6, 1-2, unfinished
4. Ashleigh Antal (VU) def. Joanna Henderson (UT) 6-4, 6-3
5. No. 74 Georgina Sellyn (VU) def. Mimi Fotopoulos (UT) 6-0, 6-1
6. Tiffany Tavares (UT) def. Frances Altick (VU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-1
1. No. 4 Boren/Szekely (UT) def. No. 29 Colton/Mira (VU) 8-2
2. Henderson/Williams (UT) def. Antal/Casares (VU) 8-2
3. Fotopoulos/Toti (UT) vs. Altick/Sellyn (VU) 6-4, unfinished
Order of Finish