March 9, 2007
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Vanderbilt women's team continued to make their mark on the SEC West, defeating Arkansas Friday afternoon 7-0 and improving their conference record to 3-0.
The Commodores (9-4, 3-0) jumped out to early lead by grabbing all three doubles pro sets. Sophomore Courtney Ulery quickly followed with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Lady 'Back Rachel Wilhelm. The win is Ulery's 10th in 2007 and eighth consecutive singles victory.
"I've been trying to find a happy place in my game," Ulery said. "I've just been working hard and right now everything's going well."
Taka Bertrand defeated Audrey Bordeleau 6-1, 6-3 to bring the Vanderbilt lead to 3-0. Liberty Sveke clinched the win at No. 6, downing Carly Dixon 6-4, 6-2. Catherine Newman followed with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Nanar Airapetian.
The Lady Razorbacks (6-5, 0-3) continued fighting at the top spots following the Commodore clincher. Maryoria Franco challenged VU's Amanda Taylor through sets by jumping out to a 6-1 lead in the first. Taylor fought back, taking the next set 6-4 and blanking Franco 6-0 in the final to improve her overall record to 12-2 and 3-0 in the SEC.
Amanda Fish earned her second SEC win of 2007 win she snapped the SEC's Player of the Week Ela Kaluder's 10-0 win streak with a 6-3, 6-4 win. Fish is now 3-3 overall and 2-1 in SEC play.
"We had a rocky start to the season, so every win counts for us now," Ulery said.
The Commodores will try extend their win streak to eight when they face LSU on Sunday at noon in Nashville.
3/9/07 - Vanderbilt 7, Arkansas 0
1. Amanda Taylor/Amanda Fish (VU) d. Nanar Airapetian/Maryori Franco (ARK) 8-5
2. Taka Bertrand/Catherine Newman (VU) d. Audrey Bordeleau/Ela Kaluder (ARK) 8-4
3. Liberty Sveke/Courtney Ulery (VU) d. Melissa Hoffmeister/Rachel Wilhelm (ARK) 8-0
Order of finish: 3, 2*, 1
1. #35 Amanda Fish (VU) d. #30 Ela Kaluder 6-3, 6-4
2. #32 Amanda Taylor (VU) d. Maryoria Franco 1-6, 6-4, 6-0
3. #49 Catherine Newman (VU) d. Nanar Airapetian 6-2, 6-4
4. #103 Taka Bertrand (VU) d. Audrey Bordeleau 6-1, 6-3
5. Courtney Ulery (VU) d. Rachel Wilhelm 6-1, 6-2
6. Liberty Sveke (VU) d. Carly Dixon 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 5, 4, 6*, 3, 2, 1