March 2, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The eighth-ranked Vanderbilt women's tennis team completed the weekend sweep with a 7-0 win over No. 41 LSU, Sunday at the Currey Tennis Center. Courtney Coltonclinched the match with a 6-0, 7-5 win at No. 3 singles.
Vanderbilt (9-3, 2-0 SEC) won a highly contested doubles point, with wins at No. 1 and No. 2. The Commodores' top team of 36th-ranked Lauren Mira and Courtney Colton cruised to an easy 8-1 win. Vandy's No. 3 team of Frances Altick and Georgina Sellyndropped a tight match to set up a clinching situation at No. 2.
Ashleigh Antal and Marie Casareswere serving with match point, but LSU was able to break and then hold serve to force a tiebreak. In the break Casaresa and Antal played as well as they had played all year, winning 7-2 in the break, to clinch the point for the `Dores.
In singles, the `Dores took control from the beginning winning four first sets. Vanderbilt would go on to win the next three matches, in what played out to be much closer than they appeared.
Casares put Vandy up 2-0 with her 14th-straight win. The junior from Quito, Ecuado took down Elly Taylor 6-2, 6-1 at No. 5 singles. Casares is now one win shy of tying her career best 23 singles victories, which she set during her freshman campaign.
Mira, who had a rough start to the dual season, has since found her place. After starting the year 0-6 out of the top of the Vandy lineup, she has since won three-straight matches, picking up a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 4 on Sunday.
Mira's win at four setup a clinch for Colton at No. 3. The sophomore knocked off Gabrielle Otero 6-0, 7-5 to clinch the shutout for the Commodores.
Sellyn at one, Altick at two and Antal at six all won by retirement.
Vanderbilt will be back in action next weekend as they face Missouri on Friday and Texas A&M on Sunday, both matches will be on the road.
#8 Vanderbilt 4, #41 LSU 0
1. #60 Georgina Sellyn (VU) vs. Joana Vale Costa (LSU) 7-5, 4-4, retired
2. Frances Altick (VU) vs. #87 Noel Scott (LSU) 3-6, 6-4, 1-1, retired
3. #81 Courtney Colton (VU) def. Gabrielle Otero (LSU) 6-0, 7-5
4. Lauren Mira (VU) def. Abigail Owens (LSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Marie Casares (VU) def. Ella Taylor (LSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Ashleigh Antal (VU) vs. Skylar Holloway (LSU) 4-3, retired
1. #36 Courtney Colton/Lauren Mira (VU) def. Joana Vale Costa/Skylar Holloway (LSU) 8-1
2. #50 Ashleigh Antal/Marie Casares (VU) def. Noel Scott/Ella Taylor (LSU) 8-7 (7-2)
3. Gabrielle Otero/Abigail Owens (LSU) def. Frances Altick/Georgina Sellyn (VU) 8-6
LSU 7-4, 0-2 SEC; National ranking #41
Vanderbilt 9-3, 2-0 SEC; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,4,3)