Feb. 5, 2012
The No. 24 Notre Dame Fighting Irish toppled the No. 18 Commodores in a series of split-set matches Sunday for a 5-2 win, handing Vanderbilt their third straight loss.
Notre Dame’s Kristy Frilling, Chrissie McGaffigan, Jennifer Kellner and Britney Sanders bested Lauren Mira, Alex Leatu, Marie Casares and Ashleigh Antal, respectively, in close third sets. McGaffigan, Sanders and Kellner won theirs 6-4, while Mira forced Frilling to a 7-5 finish.
Jackie Wu was the lone Dore to play straight sets, winning her singles match in the No. 1 position in short order by defeating Shannon Mathews 6-1, 6-2.
Radeva came back after dropping her first set to defeat Julie Sabacinski in a tiebreaker third set.
Radeva and Mira battled in the final set of their doubles match, breaking match-point several times as they fought to come back and win the point, but lost the advantage and the match.
The Commodores have next weekend off, and will return on February 26th at with a double dip against Memphis and MTSU, at Vanderbilt’s Currey Tennis Center.
1. Jackie Wu (VU) def. Shannon Mathews (ND), 6-1, 6-2
2. Kristy Frilling (ND) def. Lauren Mira (VU), 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
3. Jennifer Kellner (ND) def. Marie Casares (VU), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
4. Britney Sanders (ND) def. Ashleigh Antal (VU), 4-6, 6-4. 6-4
5. Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) def. Alex Leatu (VU) 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
6. Nelly Radeva (VU) def. Julie Sabacinski (ND) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0(10-2)
1. Shannon Mathews-Kristy Frilling (ND) def. Jackie Wu-Alex Leatu (VU) 8-3
2. Ashleigh Antal-Marie Casares (VU) def. Britney Sanders-Katherine White (ND) 8-6
3. Chrissie McGaffigan-Jennifer Kellner (ND) def. Lauren Mira-Nelly Radeva (VU), 8-6
Vanderbilt, No. 18, 6-4
Notre Dame, No. 24, 5-2
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2,3), Singles (1,4,2,5,3,6)