Feb. 3, 2007
MADISON, Wisc. - The return of No. 26 senior Amanda Fish wasn't enough to boost the Vanderbilt women's tennis team (2-5) to victory Saturday, as No. 15 TCU (1-2) defeated the Commodores 5-2 in the final consolation round at the ITA tournament.
After sweeping the doubles contest, TCU competitors defeated Commodores Caroline Ferrell, Taka Bertrand, and Fish to clinch the Horned Frogs' first win of the season.
Vanderbilt's only singles victories came from junior Amanda Taylor and sophomore Liberty Sveke during the morning action. Taylor was the first Commodore to earn a team point in the singles round, defeating Kewa Nichols in a straight sets (6-2, 6-2). The win completed Taylor's undefeated singles record at the tournament.
In the first round of the 2006 tournament, Sveke's loss to Horned Frog Andre Morgado clinched the 4-3 TCU upset, but Sveke downed Morgado in this year's rematch with a 10-1 super tiebreaker win (6-4, 4-6, 10-1).
Junior Taka Bertrand and TCU's Anna Sydorska also faced each other in the
2006 tournament, but Bertrand couldn't match her previous straight set win and fell 6-7(1), 6-4, 6-3 to put TCU up 3-2.
Ferrell and Fish took TCU opponents to tiebreakers, but both 'Dores dropped matches, with Fish's loss clinching the TCU win.
The loss concluded a five-match road stretch for the Commodores, and the team will return to the Currey Tennis Center to face cross-town rival Middle Tennessee State on February 16.
TCU 5, Vanderbilt 2
1. #9 Cetnik/Sydorska (TCU) d. Fish/Taylor (VU) 8-4
2. Nichols/Munch-Soegaard (TCU) d. Bertrand/Newman (VU) 9-8(3)
3. Morgado/Ionesco (TCU) d. Sveke/Ferrell (TCU) 8-5
1. Ana Cetnik (TCU) d. #26 Amanda Fish (VU) 6-3, 7-6(2)
2. #100 Anna Sydroska (TCU) d. #57 Taka Bertrand (VU) 6-7(1), 6-4, 6-3
3. Nina Munch-Soegaard (TCU) d. #24 Catherine Newman (VU) 6-4, 5-7, 10-7
4. #42 Amanda Taylor (VU) d. Kewa Nichols (TCU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Liberty Sveke (VU) d. Andrea Morgado (TCU) 6-4, 4-6, 10-1
6. Karine Ionesco (TCU) d. Caroline Ferrell (VU) 7-6(5), 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 6, 2, 1*, 3, 5