Jan. 28, 2013
OXFORD, Miss. - No. 25 Vanderbilt earned a spot in the ITA National Team Indoor Championship with its victory over No. 28 Yale, 4-1, Monday afternoon at the Gillom Sports Center.
The Commodores (2-0) are one of 16 teams that will compete in the ITA National Team Indoor Championship in Charlottesville, Va., Feb. 8-11. Vanderbilt returns to the championship for the first time since 2007.
Like the match versus Illinois on Sunday, Vanderbilt used the doubles matches to set the tone for the rest of the day. The Commodores won the point with wins in No. 1 and No. 3 doubles. Frances Altick and Georgina Sellyn won No. 3 doubles over Yale's Blair Seideman and Elizabeth Epstein, 8-1.
Colton wrapped up her two days of play with a win in No. 3 singles over No. 31 Blair Seideman in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1. The freshman continues to play great tennis for the Commodores, as she is now 12-3 overall this season.
Mira followed in the footsteps of her doubles partner, Colton, as she delivered another singles victory for Vanderbilt. Mira defeated No. 42 Elizabeth Epstein, 6-2, 6-3. The tandem of Colton and Mira combined to go 4-0 this weekend in singles and doubles. Mira has been playing her best tennis of the season since the second semester began, going 4-1 in singles and 4-1 in doubles.
Yale recorded its lone point in No. 1 singles, where Hamilton defeated Casares in a tough three-set match, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3.
Freshman Georgina Sellyn sealed the victory for Vanderbilt with her win in No. 4 singles. Sellyn defeated Hanna Yu, 6-1, 3-6, 6-3, in a hard fought match.
The Commodores will host No. 14 Northwestern in the first home dual of the season on Thursday, Jan. 31, at the Currey Tennis Center.
1. No. 90 Madeleine Hamilton (Yale) def. No. 91 Marie Casares (Vandy) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
2. Lauren Mira (Vanderbilt) def. No. 42 Elizabeth Epstein (Yale) 6-2, 6-3
3. No. 102 Courtney Colton (Vanderbilt) def. No. 31 Blair Seideman (Yale) 6-3, 6-1
4. Georgina Sellyn (Vanderbilt) def. Hanna Yu (Yale) 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
5. No. 115 Frances Altick (Vanderbilt) vs. Annie Sullivan (Yale), 4-6, 6-2, unfinished
6. Ashleigh Antal (Vanderbilt) vs. Amber Li (Yale) 6-3, 3-4, unfinished
1. Colton/Mira (Vanderbilt) def. Hamilton/Sullivan (Yale) 8-2
2. Antal/Casares (Vanderbilt) vs. No. 53 Yu/Li (Yale) 6-4, unfinished
3. Altick/Sellyn (Vanderbilt) def. Seideman/Epstein (Yale) 8-1