Aug. 9, 2010
Scores from U.S. Women's Amateur
Junior Vanderbilt women's golfer Marina Alex fired a two-under par, 70, in the first round of the U.S. Women's Amateur at the Charlotte Country Club in Charlotte, N.C., on Monday and is in a tie for fifth place with six other golfers. Alex is five strokes back of the leader, Rachel Rohanna, a rising sophomore at Ohio State, who set a U.S. Amateur individual round record with a 65 (-7).
Alex will play one more round of stroke play and will advance to match play if she finishes in the top 64 after play ends on Tuesday.
- Vanderbilt head coach Greg Allen is on the bag for Alex for the entire tournament, however long that may be.
- Alex posted four birdies, two bogeys, and 12 pars on Monday. She finished one-under on the par 3's, one-over on the par 4's, and two under on the par 5's.
- Alex qualifed for match play a year ago at the 2009 Amateur and finished stroke play with a two-round total of 139 (70-69). She dropped her opening match last year.
- Marina tees off at 7:50 a.m. EST on Tuesday.
- Alex made three out of four birdies on number four, five, and seven to get to three-under early in her round. She had an eagle putt lip out on number four.
- "I had a lot of fun today...it was the first time for me to caddy for a player in a competitive round."
- "She gave herself a lot of opportunities...she wasn't happy with her ball striking today, but I told her `you didn't strike it well and you're still two-under.'"
- "Same old Marina. Really steady play, easy going, nothing really rattles her. She's got a real chance here."