VU finishes 6th at Fall Preview
Sept. 15, 2010
Vanderbilt finished in sixth place at the NCAA Fall Preview in Bryan, Texas, with a final total of 866 (284-290-292), 18 strokes behind champion Alabama. Junior Marina Alex finished the tournament in second place after firing a two-under par, 70, on Wednesday to end the event with an eight-under par, 208 (67-71-70).
Alex finished two strokes behind Megan McChrystal of LSU, who shot a final-round 65 to vault to the individual title.
6. Vanderbilt 284-290-292 (+2)
- Alex picked up where she left off last year. Her runner-up finish Wednesday is the 5th in her career, and she has landed in the top five in eight of her last 13 tournaments. Unbelievably, the junior from Wayne, N.J., has finished in the top 10 in 12 of her last 13 events.
- Lauren Stratton had the team’s second-lowest total on the day with an even-par 72.
- Anna Leigh Keith finished at four-over, 76, on Wednesday, but the sophomore from Moultrie, Ga., birdied two of her last eight holes and finished her back nine at one-under.
- Rene Sobolewski finished her first collegiate tournament with a six-over, 78 on Wednesday.
- Megan Grehan had five bogeys and three birdies in her round (74) Wednesday.
Head coach Greg Allen
- "I’m really disappointed in our round today, but encouraged by the potential we have this season. We were close, and in a position to win, which is all you can ask for…There were leaderboards throughout the course, so we knew we weren’t competing for first, but instead we were in a dogfight for fourth. Unfortunately, we made bogeys and Duke and Georgia made birdies."
- "This is not a bad start to the year…Marina was solid, Grehan finished under par, Stratty was even today, and Ed (Anna Leigh Keith) was two under in her last eight holes. We had great attitudes all week and I’m really looking forward to seeing what this team can do this year."
Women's Golf Headlines