Vanderbilt Game Notes Vanderbilt 79, Western Kentucky 73 (OT) December 6th, 2009
Pregame: - This is the 31st matchup between the Western Kentucky Lady Toppers and the Vanderbilt Commodores. Vanderbilt holds an 19-12 advantage in the all-time series, including a 10-3 record in the friendly confines of Memorial Gymnasium.
- VU has won the last five contests against the Lady Toppers, their biggest non-conference foe other than their in-town rival, Tennessee State.
First Half: - Vanderbilt took their first lead of the contest off a 3-pointer by Lauren Lueders at the 13:56 mark of the first half. The game featured six ties and 13 lead changes.
- VU and WKU continued to trade baskets until Jence Rhoads hit a 3-pointer at the 5:09 mark to put Vanderbilt ahead for good.
- Hannah Tuomi came on strong at the end of the half, scoring all of her six first half points in the last three minutes of the half.
- Hannah Tuomi drew a shooting foul at the 2:37 mark and made one free throw, then bookended that score with a steal on the other end of the floor, getting fouled once again.
- Merideth Marsh faked out her defender with a spin move to put the final dagger in the Western Kentucky effort, sinking a layup at the 1:01 mark.
Postgame Notes: - Vanderbilt is now 17-15 in overtime games, the last before this afternoon was a win over SEC foe Arkansas at Memorial Gymnasium on Jan. 21st, 2009. They are now 9-7 in overtime games at home.
- Jence Rhoads and Merideth Marsh led Vanderbilt in scoring, each with 17 points. VU had five players with double figures in scoring.
- WKU's Dominique Duck also contributed 17 points to lead her team.
- Hannah Tuomi found her offensive and defensive rhythm at the end of each half, contributing all of her 11 points and 8 rebounds in the last five minutes of each half and throughout overtime.