Feb. 24, 2010
Box Score |
Vanderbilt 71, Florida 60
February 24, 2010 – Memorial Gym
* The Commodores and the Lady Gators are meeting for the 47th time overall.
* Vanderbilt leads the all-time series, 28-18. The Commodores have won five straight meetings against the Lady Gators since a 2006 loss in Gainesville. A sixth consecutive win would match the longest winning streak in the series.
* Vanderbilt has taken seven of the past eight meetings against Florida, including three straight wins in Memorial Gym.
* The Commodores own a 14-5 advantage on their home court.
* The Commodores move to 20-8, 9-6 in SEC play. The Gators fall to 14-14, 7-8 in SEC play.
* Hannah Tuomi led the Commodores with a career-high 26 points and nine rebounds, narrowly missing a double-double. Tuomi was 10-for-10 shooting on the night. This is a feat that has not been accomplished in nearly two decades. The last time a player was 10-for-10 was Wendy Scholtens against Campbell on November 23, 1991.
* Jence Rhoads followed with 16 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists. Merideth Marsh contributed 13 points and eight assists.
* The Commodores outshot the Lady Gators 57.8% to 40.4%. VU is now 8-0 on the season when shooting better than 50%.
* Vanderbilt was 41.7% from the perimeter, besting Florida’s 33.3%. VU is now 12-2 when making more 3-pointers than their opponents.
* Vanderbilt outrebounded the Gators 31-24. VU is 11-1 when outrebounding their opponents.
First Half - Vanderbilt 31, Florida 22
* Vanderbilt scored the first points of the game off two made free throws by Merideth Marsh at the 19:09 mark of the first half. The ‘Dores are 10-2 on the season when scoring first.
* Hannah Tuomi furthered the Commodore effort with her own made free throws at the 18:17 mark of the first half.
* Elan Brown scored the first 3-pointer of the game, capping a 7-0 run in the first 3:28 of the contest.
* Jessica Mooney had a sweet dish inside to Hannah Tuomi, who finished it off with a quick layup at the 16:05 mark.
* Jence Rhoads had her first points of the game with a jumper at the 14:33 mark of the first half.
* At the 12:24 mark in the first half, Hannah Tuomi continued her stellar offensive play with a highly contested layup.
* Both teams were held scoreless for 2:05 until Merideth Marsh scored with a layup in the closing seconds of the shot clock at the 9:09 mark.
* Elan Brown hit a jumper at the 7:43 mark of the first half, putting the Commodores up by six.
* Gabby Smith hit a 3-pointer as the shot clock went off at the 5:27 mark to put the Dores back up by six after a quick Florida run.
* Lueders matched that 3-pointer with her own at the 4:49 mark to give the ‘Dores a nine-point lead.
* With a jumper at the 2:53 mark of the first half, Merideth Marsh gave the Commodores their first double-digit lead of the game (10).
* Jence Rhoads’ jumper at the 2:11 mark of the first half gave Vanderbilt their largest lead of the game (12).
* Hannah Tuomi scored her 10th point of the game with a layup off a no-look dish by Jence Rhoads to put the Commodores back up by 12 with 33 seconds remaining in the half.
* The Commodores took a nine-point lead into halftime. VU is 15-2 when leading at halftime.
* The ‘Dores were led by Hannah Tuomi with 10 points at the half. Merideth Marsh followed with six points and five assists.
* Jence Rhoads led the ‘Dores defensively with five rebounds.
* Vanderbilt shot 50% in the first half to Florida’s 33.3%. The ‘Dores are 7-0 on the season when shooting 50% or better.
* VU shot 42.9% from the perimeter while Florida shot 27.3%. Vanderbilt is 11-2 when making more 3-pointers than their opponents.
* Vanderbilt outrebounded the Lady Gators 17-8. The ‘Dores are 10-1 when outrebounding their opponents.
* Vanderbilt allowed the Lady Gators to continue their run from the end of the first half, cutting into the ‘Dores halftime lead and closing the game to one at the 12:33 mark of the second half.
* Hannah Tuomi contributed ten of Vanderbilt’s first twelve points during Florida’s run in the second half. She also ended Florida’s offensive tear with a strong layup at the 13:52 mark, drawing a foul. Tuomi made the second free throw to reach 20 points. This is Hannah’s second time reaching twenty points this year and the fourth of her career.
* Gabby Smith pushed Vanderbilt’s lead to eight with a clutch 3-pointer at the 10:12 mark of the second half.
* With a driving layup at the 7:59 mark of the second half, Hannah continued her scoring run, owning 14 of Vanderbilt’s 20 second half points. With her made free throw afterward, Hannah’s 23 points tied her career high, previously set against Tennessee State on December 19, 2008.
* Merideth Marsh helped widen Vanderbilt’s lead with a 3-pointer at the 5:33 mark, putting the Commodores up by six.
* With her made free throw at the 5:03 mark of the second half, Hannah Tuomi surpassed her previous career high, contributing 24 points with five minutes remaining in the game. The Commodores are undefeated on the season (18-0) when leading with five minutes remaining in the contest.
* With a highly contested layup at the 1:54 in the second half, Hannah Tuomi continued her offensive surge, pushing the Commodore lead to seven.
* Jence Rhoads became the third player of the game to score in the double digits with her layup and free throw at the :57 mark of the second half. She followed that up with a fastbreak layup with 42 seconds remaining in the half. This is the 22nd time this season Rhoads has scored in double digits.
* The game was sealed with Merideth Marsh’s two made free throws with 2.2 seconds remaining in the game. This is the 22nd time this season Marsh has scored in double digits.