Jan. 12, 2014
Vanderbilt - Tennessee Postgame Notes
Jan. 12, 2014
- The game marked the 70th meeting between the two teams. With the Vanderbilt win, the Lady Vols now hold a 61-9 series lead. Vanderbilt had lost 10 of the past 11 games against the Lady Vols heading into this one. The last time Vanderbilt had beaten Tennessee was in Nashville on Feb. 9, 2012, with a score of 93-79.
- The Commodores have now won 11 of their last 12 games and are 3-1 in conference play.
- Today marks the third conference game in which Vanderbilt has faced a ranked opponent and the fourth ranked opponent of the season. The Commodores are now 2-2 against ranked teams this season and 2-1 against ranked conference opponents this season.
- Coming into today's game with a ranking of No. 8, Tennessee is the second highest-ranked team the Commodores have played this season.
- For the sixth straight game, the Commodores started Heather Bowe, Kady Schrann, Christina Foggie, Jasmine Lister, and Morgan Batey. Bowe, Lister, and Foggie have started all 17 games this season.
- Vanderbilt took an early 10-2 lead and held Tennessee to without a field goal for nearly the first five and half minutes.
- Tennessee tied up the game at 24 with 4:51 remaining in the first half and then took their first lead at the 4:08 mark of the half.
- At halftime the Commodores trailed by one point.
- Vanderbilt shot 37.9 % (11-29) in the first half, going 3-9 on three-point attempts and shooting 100% (4-4) at the free-throw line. Tennessee shot 39.4% (13-33) in the first half, went 2-9 on three-pointers, and shot 50% (2-4) on free throws.
- The Lady Vols scored the first nine points of the second half. The Commodores did not score in the first four minutes of the second half.
- Vanderbilt committed its seventh team foul with 10:40 remaining in the game, placing Tennessee in the bonus the rest of the way.
- The Commodores cut Tennessee's lead to two with 12:12 remaining in the second half and then went on a 13-2 run from the 10:36 mark of the second half to the 5:38 mark. Vanderbilt took its first lead of the second half with 6:51 remaining on a Foggie layup.
- Vanderbilt built their largest lead of the game to 11 (74-63) with 4.9 seconds left in the game.
- The Commodores shot 49% (26-53) for the game, 29% (4-14) on three-pointers, and 86% (18-21) from the free-throw line. The Lady Vols shot 43% (27-63) from the field, 18% (3-17) on three- pointers, and a Vanderbilt opponent low 46% (6-13) on free throws.
- Tennessee outscored Vanderbilt 19-4 off second-chance points and outrebounded Vanderbilt 40-31, including 18-6 on the offensive glass.
- Vanderbilt made 18-of-21 free throws
- Christina Foggie and Jasmine Lister each topped 20 points. Lister led Vanderbilt with 22 points. Foggie finished with 21.
- Marqu'es Webb scored 12 points.
- Morgan Batey paced the team with eight rebounds to go with nine points.
- Foggie has scored 20-plus points in seven games this season and 25 career games.
- Lister has scored 20-plus points in six games this season and 14 for her career.
- Webb has reached double figures seven times this year.