BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Jake Van Geffen of the Vanderbilt men's cross country team and Skyler Carpenter of the Commodore women's track and field team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by Vanderbilt University.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2017 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on April 27.
Jake Van Geffen, Men's Cross Country
Major: Civil Engineering
- Awarded a scholarship by the NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship Committee
- Named to the Fall SEC Academic Honor Roll in 2015 and 2016
- Spring SEC Academic Honor Roll member, 2015 SEC First-Year Academic Honor Roll, 2014
- Vanderbilt's top finisher in five of the team's six races during the 2016 season
- Finished 50th overall at the 2016 NCAA South Regionals with a team-best time of 32:01 to help VU earn its highest team finish (16th place) since 2010
- Commodores' top finisher at the 2015 NCAA South Regionals with a time of 32:35.06
- Had the best performance of his career at the tradition-steeped Notre Dame Invitational, where he earned an 11th-place finish with a time of 25:08.70
- Paced the Commodores in five races in 2015
- Opened his college career as the Dores' top finisher at the 2013 Belmont Opener running the 5K course in 16:52.84
- Served as the Outreach Coordinator for the American Society of Civil Engineers
- Spent time as a Reading Tutor at elementary school in Nashville
- Site Leader for the Alternative Winter Break Program during a service trip to Charleston, S.C.
Skyler Carpenter, Women's Track & Field
Major: Nurse Mid-Wifery Graduate Program
- SEC Community Service Team, 2016
- Spring SEC Academic Honor Roll, 2014-2016
- SEC First-Year Academic Honor Roll, 2013
- USTFCCCA All-Academic Team, 2014
- Ranks third on VU's all-time indoor performers list in both the 500m dash (1:15.37) and the 600m dash (1:31.72)
- A member of the 4x400 relay team that set outdoor school record with time of 3:34.74 and 4x200 relay team that set outdoor school record at 1:37.45
- Owns No. 6 mark on VU's all-time performers list in indoor 800m run (2:08.92), No. 8 mark in indoor 400m dash (55.92) and No. 9 mark in indoor 60m Hurdles (8.99)
- Member of 4x400 relay team that set the second-best time on Vanderbilt's all-time indoor list (3:37.95)
- Ranked No. 4 on Vanderbilt's all-time outdoor performers list in 400m Hurdles (58.50)
- Finished 19th in 400m hurdles at the 2015 NCAA Outdoor East Regionals (59.04)
- Scored for the Commodores by earning an eighth-place finish in 800m at the 2015 SEC Championships (2:10.64)
- Served at Vanderbilt's Volunteer Doula Program, attending live births and helping women through the laboring process
- Worked at the YWCA, providing childcare for women who attend classes
- Volunteered at Napier Elementary, reading to children, and at Monroe Carell Jr. Vanderbilt Children's Hospital, making crafts with the children
- Volunteered in feed-the-homeless programs
Each year, the SEC, in conjunction with AT&T, an SEC official sponsor, provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $15,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $7,500 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are honored at the SEC Spring Meetings in Sandestin, Fla., in early June.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Forrest Gamble of the Ole Miss men's golf team and Haylie McCleney of the Alabama softball team.