ATHENS, Ga. -- The Commodores were unable to notch a second upset this weekend and fell to Georgia, the top team in the country, 7-0.
The 'Dores (7-9, 2-6) couldn't catch a win in the Bulldog's (19-0, 8-0) impressive doubles lineup, which consists of two top 15 duos.
The Commodores didn't go down easily in the singles contest, with Nik Cromydas going 5-7 in the first set, Nathan Sachs playing a tiebreaker in the second set (2), and Ryan Preston taking John Isner, ITA's top male
player in the country, to a 7-5 second set.
"Ryan really played right with Isner," VU Assistant Coach Tom Boysen said. "Ryan was cruising through service games, but whenever he'd make an error, he'd make several in a row, which is what got him."
The 7-0 sweep doesn't look especially great on the Commodore record, but Boysen explained that it was all about the experience in Sunday's contest.
"We now know what the best team in the country plays like. Each player has a couple of specific things they do really well. We can definitely learn from this and be much more prepared for the rest of our SEC matches," Boysen said.
The Commodores will take a final break from conference season to host local rival MTSU on Wednesday. The following weekend the 'Dores will host Florida and South Carolina for their last regular season home matches at the Currey Tennis Center.
GEORGIA 7, Vanderbilt 0
1. #1 John Isner, UGA def. #68 Ryan Preston, VU 6-2, 7-5
2. #27 Luis Flores, UGA def. Evan Dufaux, VU 6-3, 6-3
3. Antonio Ruiz, UGA def. Andy Mack, VU 6-1, 6-0
4. Colin Purcell, UGA def. Nathan Sachs, VU 6-1, 7-6(2)
5. #50 Strahinja Bobusic, UGA def. Nik Cromydas, VU 7-5, 6-3
6. #103 Ricardo Gonzalez, UGA def. Jordan Magarik, VU 6-3, 6-4
1. #9 John Isner/Antonio Ruiz, UGA def. #33 Evan Dufaux/Andy Mack 8-3
2. #61 Luis Flores/Matic Omerzel, UGA def. Ryan Preston/Jordan Magarik 8-
3. #11 Strahinja Bobusic/Colin Purcell, UGA def. Nik Cromydas/Nathan