March 7, 2013
NASHVILLE – Coming off two wins to begin SEC play, No. 19 Vanderbilt will head to Texas A&M to take on the 14th-ranked Aggies Friday night at 6 p.m. in the first meeting between the two school as SEC members.
Last Time Out
No. 19 Vanderbilt started SEC play with two wins over No. 39 LSU and No. 47 Arkansas. On Friday, Vanderbilt came back after losing the doubles point to defeat LSU, 4-3. Ryan Lipman and Kris Yee each recorded huge wins for the Commodores in the Nos. 1 and 5 positions. Vanderbilt then defeated Arkansas, 6-1, Sunday afternoon to complete the weekend sweep. Lipman and Yee each recorded two more wins, as both of them now have win streaks of 11 and 12 matches, respectively. The Commodores also won all three doubles matches versus the Razorbacks.
- Lipman leads Vanderbilt with 22 wins this season and has won his last 11 matches in singles play.
- Lipman is 2-1 this season versus ranked players and 12-1 in dual play this season.
- Yee and Gonzales Austin each have 18 wins on the season, while Yee has won his last 12 singles matches.
- Yee also leads the team with a 13-1 record in dual play this season.
- Lipman and Austin are ranked Nos. 25 and 41 in the ITA Singles Rankings.
- Lipman was named SEC Player of the Week on March 6 for his play versus LSU and Arkansas.
- The meeting with Texas A&M marks the first as SEC members.
- Vanderbilt has started the season 2-0 in SEC play for the first time under head coach Ian Duvenhage.
- The Commodores also sport a six-match winning streak that is tops in the SEC.
About No. 14 Texas A&M
Texas A&M improved to 9-5 overall and 1-1 in the Southeastern Conference, after splitting matches with South Carolina and Florida last weekend. The Aggies downed the No. 43 Gamecocks, 5-2, and dropped a heartbreaker to the No. 35 Gators, 4-3. Texas A&M earned its first win in its new conference on Friday night in South Carolina. Texas A&M is now 5-1 on the road, 2-1 at home and 2-3 in neutral-site contests. Virtually all of the Aggies matches thus far have come against ranked opponents. Texas A&M is 7-5 against competition ranked in the top 75 of the ITA national poll.
Fans can follow the action with live scoring available here. Also be sure to follow the Commodores on Twitter at @VandyMensTennis.
Vanderbilt hits the road to the Magnolia State, as the Commodores take on Mississippi State Friday, March 15 at 2 p.m. CT and Ole Miss Sunday, March 17 at 1 p.m. CT.