No. 17 Men Fall to Purdue 5-2
The No. 17 Vanderbilt men's tennis team dropped its first matchup of 2005 to the Purdue Boilermakers in West Lafayette on Saturday.
The Commodores lost the doubles point to the Boilermakers, falling at both the No. 2 and No. 3 positions.
The lone Commodore win in Saturday's doubles draw came of the racket of VU's No. 35 pairing of Scott Brown and Jason Pinsky. The Dores took the pro-set from the Boilermakers, 8-6.
The Dores headed to the singles draw needing four-of-six singles matches for the win.
The Commodores claimed two.
The victories for the Dores on Saturday came from the Commodore youth movement. Both freshman Jason Pinsky and Ryan Preston recorded wins for the Dores.
Pinsky claimed his match at No. 3 from Purdue's Sounak Chatterjee, 6-0, 6-3.
Preston nabbed the Commodores second point with his impressive win at the No. 4 position. The Northbrook, Ill. native took the match in a super-tiebreaker, 6-3, 4-6, 10-7.
VU's Brown conceded his first match of 2005 at the No. 1 singles position. The VU senior fell to Purdue's Paul Rose, 7-6, 6-3.
Fellow senior Matt Lockin was also handed his first loss of the season, this time in a super-tiebreaker, 7-6, 2-6, 10-2.
The Dores look to rebound quickly as they face a talented Indiana club in Bloomington on Sunday. The match is slated to begin at Noon.
Lafayette Sports Center
Feb. 26, 2005
#73 Purdue 5, #17 Vanderbilt 2
1. Paul Rose (P) def. #40 Scott Brown (V) 7-6, 6-3
2. Filip Koziell (P) def. Matt Lockin (V) 7-6, 2-6, 10-2
3. Jason Pinsky (V) def. Sounak Chatterjee (P) 6-0, 6-3
4. Ryan Preston (V) def. Jarred Leibner (P) 6-3, 4-6, 10-7
5. Colin Foster (P) def. Andy Mack (V) 7-5, 6-3 *
6. Matt Zollman (P) def. Jordan Magarik (V) 6-2, 7-6
Order of singles finish: 3, 6, 1, 5, 2, 4
1. #35 Brown/Pinsky (V) def. David Robinson/Rose (P) 8-6
2. Chatterjee/Koziell (P) def. Preston/Mack (V) 8-5
3. Foster/Scott Warner (P) def. Lockin/Magarik (V) 8-6
Order of doubles finish: 3, 1, 2
* Denotes match-clinching win.