The Commodores (4-1) earned their second victory of the weekend against the Memphis Tigers (6-1) on Sunday.
The doubles round came down to the No. 2 court, with Vanderbilt's Andy Mack and Evan Dufaux facing Garrison Pilant and Michael Jetter of Memphis. Jetter and Pilant had a chance to finish off the pro set after inching ahead of the Commodores 7-6. But Dufaux and Mack quickly rebounded and tied the pro set 7-7, leading to a tie breaker. The teams exchanged points but the Commodores pulled ahead to win the pro set and the doubles point 8-7 in a 9-7 tie
No. 1 Ryan Preston and No. 5 Nick Cromydas finished the singles round in a timely fashion, with Preston defeating Matt Brewer 6-3, 6-1 and Cromydas downing Garrison Pilant 6-2, 6-1.
At No. 3, junior Andy Mack fell to James Spence who is currently ranked 8th in the nation with doubles partner Alex Jago. The first set stayed close, ending in a tie breaker, but Memphis' New Zealand native was able gain and maintain a lead in the second set (7-6, 6-3).
The Commodores will have a week off match play and will return to the Currey Tennis Center on Sunday, February 19 to host Butler University.
1. UM Spence/Withell def. VU Preston/Magarik 8-5
2. VU Dufaux/Mack def. Pilant/Jetter 8-7(7)
3. VU Sachs/Cromydas def. Brewer/Bankester 8-6
1. VU Preston def. Matt Brewer 6-3, 6-1
2. VU Evan Dufaux def. Michael Jetter 6-2, 3-6, 1-0(11)
3. UM James Spence def. Andy Mack 7-6, 6-3
4. VU Nathan Sachs def. Sam Withell 6-3, 6-2
5. VU Nik Cromydas def. Garrison Pilant 6-2, 6-1
6. VU Jordan Magarik def. Tezar Putra 6-1, 6-2