Feb. 14, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - It didn't take long to know the Vanderbilt men's tennis team was ready to take on Memphis, as the `Dores were the first team to take the doubles point from the Tigers in 14-straight matches. After that Vanderbilt cruised to a 5-1 win over 18th-ranked Memphis, Friday, at the Currey Tennis Center.
No. 20 Vanderbilt improves to 7-1 on the year and extends its match win-streak to five. The Commodores improved to 5-1 against ranked opponents. With the loss, Memphis falls to 3-2.
Vanderbilt and Memphis played a very tightly contested doubles point. Vandy's No. 2 squad of Rhys Johnson and Ryan Smith picked up the first win, 8-3 over De Zutter and Glennon. Memphis followed that up with a win of their own at No. 3, 8-6.
After going up a break early in the set, Lipman and Austin allowed the Memphis duo to break back in the 9th game. However, both teams would string together four straight breaks to force a tiebreak at 7-all.
Austin and Lipman played a dominant tiebreak and took the set and clinched the doubles point with a 8-7 (2) win.
Vanderbilt used its momentum from doubles and carried it over to singles, where the `Dores won five of six first sets.
Memphis, however, answered back splitting in three of those five matches.
Lipman was able to win his match in straight-sets at No. 2, 6-4, 7-6 (7). His win was followed by Austin at No. 1, 6-1, 6-7 (3), 6-2.
Kovrigin clinched the match for the `Dores at No. 5, 6-2, 3-6, 7-5.
Memphis got its lone point with a win at No. 3 singles, over Kris Yee.
The `Dores will be on the road now for four-straight matches beginning next weekend against Indiana and Michigan.
#20 Vanderbilt 5, #18 Memphis 1
1. #10 Gonzales Austin (VU) def. #65 Joe Salisbury (MEM) 6-1, 6-7 (3-7), 6-2
2. Ryan Lipman (VU) def. #56 Connor Glennon (MEM) 6-4, 7-6 (9-7)
3. David O'Leary (MEM) def. Kris Yee (VU) 6-3, 7-5
4. #82 Rhys Johnson (VU) def. Johnny Grimal (MEM) 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Anton Kovrigin (VU) def. Ian Chadwell (MEM) 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
6. Jeffrey Offerdahl (VU) vs. David O'Hare (MEM) 6-1, unfinished
1. #6 Gonzales Austin/Ryan Lipman (VU) def. #8 Joe Salisbury/David O'Hare (MEM) 8-7 (7-3)
2. Rhys Johnson/Ryan Smith (VU) def. Cedric De Zutter/Connor Glennon (MEM) 8-3
3. Johnny Grimal/Ian Chadwell (MEM) def. Anton Kovrigin/Jeffrey Offerdahl (VU) 8-6
Memphis 3-2; National ranking #18
Vanderbilt 7-1; National ranking #20
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,1,5,3,4)