Feb. 10, 2013
CHICAGO – No. 40 Vanderbilt saw its four-match win streak come to an end Sunday afternoon to the hands of No. 47 Harvard, 4-3 at the Combe Tennis Center.
The Commodores fell to 5-3 on the season following the loss, while Harvard upped its record to 4-3 for the season.
Harvard started out the match in dominating fashion, winning two of the three doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead into singles. Ryan Lipman and Rhys Johnson could not get into a groove against Casey MacMaster and Denis Nguyen in No. 1 singles, as the Vandy duo fell, 8-4.
Vanderbilt would win three singles matches, but it wasn’t enough to pull out the win. The Crimson won singles at positions, No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4.
Lipman won his fifth-straight match, as he played in the No. 1 position. The redshirt junior defeated Denis Nguyen, 6-2, 6-3. Marc van der Merwe and Kris Yee recorded the final two wins on the day for Vandy.
With Yee’s win, he has now won six-consecutive singles matches. The Las Vegas, Nev., native defeated Casey MacMaster in three sets, 3-6, 6-3, 7-5. In the No. 5 position, van der Merwe defeated Nicky Hu, 7-5, 6-4.
Vanderbilt returns home for a double-header versus Memphis and Lipscomb Friday, Feb. 15 at the Currey Tennis Center. The Commodores will play Memphis at 2 p.m., followed by a match versus Lipscomb.
1. No. 17 Ryan Lipman (VU) def. Denis Nguyen (HU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Shaun Chaudhuri (HU) def. No. 20 Gonzales Austin (VU) 7-6, 2-6, 6-0
3. Alex Steinroeder (HU) def. Rhys Johnson (VU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Andy Nguyen (HU) def. Jeff Offerdahl (VU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Marc van der Merwe (VU) def. Nicky Hu (HU) 7-5, 6-4
6. No. 114 Kris Yee (VU) def. Casey MacMaster (HU) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
1. MacMaster/D. Nguyen (HU) def. Lipman/Johnson (VU) 8-4
2. A. Nguyen/Hu (HU) def. Austin/Eswaran (VU) 8-3
3. Steinroeder/Chaudhuri (HU) vs. Offerdahl/van der Merwe (VU) unfinished