Vanderbilt Stadium, Nashville, Tenn. Attendance: 34,319 Weather: cloudy, 77 degrees, Winds 10-15 mph from the S-SW
First Half Notes The Vanderbilt defense held Temple without a first down on the opening possession, aided by a seven-yard quarterback sack by Marcus Buggs. It was the career sack for Buggs... With 12:22 left in the first quarter, Cassen Jackson-Garrison put the Commodores on the scoreboard with a 43-yard rush. It marked Jackson-Garrison's longest carry of the season, and his first rushing touchdown... With 1:16 remaining in the first quarter, Bryant Hahnfeldt connected on a career-long 51-yard field goal to put Vanderbilt up 10-0. Hahnfeldt's previous long field goal was 48 yards last year versus LSU... With :34 left, Ben Koger posted his first career interception, giving Vanderbilt possession at the Temple 45-yard line... Jackson-Garrison ended the first quarter with 86 rushing yards. Jackson-Garrison scored his second rushing touchdown - a 16-yarder - with 9:16 left in the second quarter. The carry gave Jackson-Garrison 120 rushing yards, one more than his previous single-game high registered versus Richmond (Sept. 24, 2005)... With 5:58 left in the quarter, Earl Bennett posted the 100th career reception. Two plays later, Chris Nickson hit Steven Bright on a 29-yard touchdown, giving Vanderbilt a 24-0 margin. It was the first scoring catch of Bright's career. The last time Vanderbilt owned at least a 17-point halftime lead was Oct. 2, 2004 when the Commodores held a 24-7 margin over Mississippi State in Nashville. The last halftime lead of more than 17 points by the Commodores' 41-6 cushion over Chattanooga on Sept. 6, 2003.
Second Half Notes Much like the opening drive of the game, Vanderbilt's possession ended in a quick Commodore touchdown. Tailback Jared Hawkins concluded the five-play drive with a 13-yard touchdown rush... Bright continued his outstanding game with a 38-yard touchdown reception from Nickson with 1:46 left in the third quarter. The catch gave Bright 92 receiving yards, a career high... On Temple's next possession, Theo Horrocks forced a fumble recovered deep in Owl territory by Curtis Gatewood. Two plays later, Hawkins scored from the 78-yard line, his touchdown of the game... Transfer quarterback Richard Kovalcheck saw the first action of his Commodore career, entering the game with 12:40 left in the game. Kovalcheck completed his first two attempts... Freshman Gaston Miller also saw his first action at tailback, rushing eight times for 58 yards... Quarterback Mackenzi Adams saw action on Vanderbilt's final drive of the game.
General Notes • With the victory, Vanderbilt goes to 2-3 overall on the season. The Commodores are 0-2 in Southeastern Conference play.
• The victory gives Vanderbilt a two-game win streak. The Commodores post back-to-back wins for the first time since defeating Ole Miss 31-23 on Sept. 17, 2005 and Richmond 37-13 on Sept. 24, 2005.
• The last time Vanderbilt scored more than 43 points was during a 49-18 victory over Furman on Sept. 7, 2002.
• The Commodores' 29-point margin of victory was the largest against a Division I opponent since Vanderbilt defeated TCU 40-16 on Sept. 20, 1997.
• Steven Bright led all Commodore receivers with four catches for 92 yards and two touchdowns.
• Cassen Jackson-Garrison led the Vanderbilt ground game with 13 rushes for a career-high 142 yards and two touchdowns. It was the most rushing yards compiled by a Commodore since Rodney Williams ran for 155 yards against Duke on Oct. 27, 2001.
• Linebacker Patrick Benoist led the Commodore defense in tackles with eight total, including six solo tackles.
• Tackle Theo Horrocks recorded one sack to go along with two forced fumbles and six tackles.