July 11, 2012
|WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE UNIFORM COMBINATION?
TELL US ON Facebook
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - An overflow crowd of Commodore fans enjoyed the team's unveiling of football uniforms for the 2012 season at the Barnes & Noble Vanderbilt Bookstore Wednesday evening.
Sixteen seniors participated with Head Coach James Franklin at the special event. The student-athletes served as the featured models, exhibiting nine different combinations of Nike attire the Commodores could wear during the upcoming season.
The stylish uniforms, designed by the Vanderbilt football staff, are made with Nike's high-tenacity Cordura knit fabric and feature black, gold and white jerseys and pants. The final piece of equipment that was shown to the crowd was a white helmet. Last season, Vanderbilt debuted a black helmet that the team wore in addition to their gold helmet.
Several key changes are incorporated in the 2012 design:
- For the first time since 1994,"Vanderbilt" will be displayed on the front ofCommodore jerseys. The name will be in all caps above jersey numbers.
- A gold "anchor" emblem adorns the homeplate or front "V" neck of all jerseys. Last year, the Star V logo was stitched there.
- "Anchor Down" text is stitched in the interior of each jersey neckline.
- Nike's iconic "flywire" stitching is incorporated into the high impact shoulder area of each jersey.
- The gold jersey top features black shoulder coverings, black lettering and black numbers. Last year, the gold jersey had white numbers.
- All jerseys have an updated circular SEC patch stitched over the right breast. The Nike swoosh is over the left breast.
- Star V logos will adorn each hip of the pants. In 2011,a lone Star V logo was located on the left front of the uniform pant.
The Commodores, coming off an appearance in the AutoZone Liberty Bowl, open the 2012 season Thursday, Aug. 30 with a nationally televised game against Southeastern Conference Eastern Division rival South Carolina. Kickoff for the game in Vanderbilt Stadium is 7 p.m.
Season tickets starting at $126 remain available for the Commodore home schedule, which also includes SEC opponents Florida on Oct. 13, Auburn on Oct. 20 and Tennessee on Nov. 17. Non-conference games against Presbyterian on Sept. 15 and Massachusetts on Oct. 27 also are scheduled on campus.
Complete coverage from the day's event will be recapped on VUCommodores.com later this evening.