March 28, 2013
Eight high school coaches from championship-caliber programs will participate with Commodore Head Coach James Franklin and his staff at the Vanderbilt Football Coaching Clinic, scheduled Friday-Saturday, April 5-6 on campus.
The two-day event is the first high school coaches’ clinic directed by Franklin and his Vanderbilt coaching staff.
The eight prep coaches scheduled to speak at the clinic are:
• Brandon Gray, Head Coach at Adamsville (Tenn.) H.S., 2012 Division I, Class 2A state runner-up
• Derek Leonard, Head Coach at Rochester (Ill.) H.S., 2012 Class 4A state champions
• Ron Marshall, Head Coach at Gordonsville (Tenn.) H.S., 2012 Division I, Class 1A state champion
• Jeff Morris, Head Coach at Milan (Tenn.) H.S., 2012 Division I, Class 3A state runner-up
• Rodney Saulsberry, Head Coach at Whitehaven (Tenn.) H.S., 2012 Division I, Class 6A state champion
• Eric Swenson, Head Coach at Huntingdon (Tenn.) H.S., 2012 Division I, Class 1A state runner-up
• Paul Wade, Offensive Coordinator at Ensworth (Tenn.) H.S., 2012 Division II, Class AA state champion
• Marty Wheeler, Head Coach at Covington (Tenn.) H.S., 2012 Division I, Class 4A state runner-up
More top high school coaches could be added as clinic speakers.
Franklin’s entire coaching staff, which has guided the Commodores to back-to-back bowl appearances since arriving on campus two years ago, will participate in the clinic.
Franklin, offensive coordinator John Donovan, defensive coordinator Bob Shoop and special teams coordinator Charles Bankins will make presentations on their areas of coaching expertise. The three coordinators and six Vanderbilt position coaches – Brent Pry (assistant head coach/co-defensive coordinator/linebackers), Herb Hand (running game coordinator/offensive line), George Barlow (defensive backs), Josh Gattis (wide receivers), Ricky Rahne (quarterbacks) and Sean Spencer (defensive line) – will hold breakout and chalk talk sessions with attendees.
The clinic cost is $40 per attendee, with fees collected upon arrival on campus. All attendees will be encouraged to observe Vanderbilt football practices on Thursday, April 4, and Saturday, April 6.
Free parking to clinic attendees will be available in the Vanderbilt University Medical Center surface parking located directly across Natchez Trace from the John Rich Football Practice Complex (lots 73-75). These lots are located between Natchez Trace & Vanderbilt Place.
Registration forms and additional clinic information can be found at vucommodores.com/footballcamps, or by contacting Michael Hazel via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.