Nov. 27, 2010
Box Score |
Joe Howell Photo Gallery
Vanderbilt – Wake Forest Postgame Notes
Nov. 27, 2010 Nashville, Tenn.
• Vanderbilt is in its 121st year of organized football.
• The Commodores wore gold pants with black uniform tops
• Wake Forest won the toss and deferred until the second half.
• The attendance was 21,338 … Vanderbilt ended the season with an average home attendance of 33,269 in seven home games.
• Tonight marked the 13th meeting between Vanderbilt and Wake Forest.
• Vanderbilt leads the all-time series 7-6.
• Wake Forest has won the last two meeting between the two schools … Vanderbilt’s last win against Wake Forest came in 2005 when VU won 24-20 behind Jay Cutler.
• Vanderbilt is 3-4 all-time against Wake Forest at Vanderbilt … Vanderbilt’s last win over Wake Forest in Nashville came in 1994 under Gerry DiNardo.
• Vanderbilt is 66-61-5 all-time against current ACC teams.
• The Commodores are 22-16 all-time against teams from North Carolina.
• With the loss, Vanderbilt finished the season 2-10 overall for the second straight year.
• Vanderbilt has now lost five straight regular season finales … Vanderbilt’s last win to close the regular season was in 2005 at Tennessee … Vanderbilt’s last win on Senior Day came in 2003 against Kentucky.
• Vanderbilt kicked a 31-yard field goal by Ryan Fowler on its opening possession to take a 3-0 lead in the game.
• It marked the fourth time this season (Eastern Michigan, Arkansas and Kentucky) Vanderbilt has scored on its first possession.
• The opening score marked the sixth time this season the Commodores have scored first … Vanderbilt won its first two games it had scored first (Ole Miss and Eastern Michigan), but lost to South Carolina, Arkansas, Kentucky and Wake Forest … Vanderbilt finished the season 2-4 when it scores first.
• Before the team's loss to South Carolina, Vanderbilt had won its last five games that it has scored first dating back to the 2008 Music City Bowl.
• Before the South Carolina game on Oct. 23, the last time Vanderbilt had lost when it scored first was Nov. 29, 2008 at Wake Forest.
• Vanderbilt has scored first only eight times in 23 games - against Wake Forest Saturday, Kentucky Nov. 13, Arkansas Oct. 30, South Carolina Oct. 23, Eastern Michigan Oct. 9, Ole Miss Sept. 18 and Western Carolina and Rice in 2009 ... All were wins until the South Carolina game.
• The 24 points surrendered in the first half by Vanderbilt were the third most it has given up this season in the first half (Arkansas and Florida).
• Vanderbilt attempted a season-high 61 passes, surpassing the 41 attempts against Tennessee last week … The team record for most pass attempts in a game was 66 by Jay Cutler against Kentucky in 2005.
• Vanderbilt finished the season 0-10 when trailing entering the fourth quarter.
• Vanderbilt recognized 17 Commodores on Senior Day Saturday … Playing their last games were Chris Aaron, Joey Bailey, Teriall Brannon, Charlie Byrge, Nate Campbell, Jared Funk, David Giller, Tray Herndon, Theron Kadri, Reece Lovell, Kennard Reeves, Adam Smotherman, John Stokes, Elvio Tropeano, Ryan van Rensburg, Duane Vaughn and Turner Wimberly.
• Three players made the first starts of their careers on offense … Making the first start’s of their careers were quarterback Jared Funk, h-back Ryan van Rensburg, and wide receiver Jordan Matthews.
• Quarterback Larry Smith had started 11 straight games before tonight’s game, which he missed due to injury.
• Cornerback Casey Hayward is the team’s active leader with 24 consecutive starts.
• Chris Marve made his 35th start of his career.
• Casey Hayward and Sean Richardson tied for the team lead with eight tackles.
• Tim Fugger had his third sack of the season and fourth of his career.
• Registering tackles-for-losses were Chris Marve, Kenny Ladler, John Stokes, Jared Morse, Rob Lohr and Tim Fugger.
• Tight end Brandon Barden’s 22-yard reception at the end of the first half gave him a reception in every game this season … He has had a catch now in 18 straight games dating back to Oct. 3, 2009 against Ole Miss, when he was held without a catch.
• Quarterback Jared Funk had a career-high 277 yards passing and a career-high 70 rushing yards.
• The 277 yards passing were also a season high for a Commodore quarterback.
• Freshman wide receiver Jordan Matthews’ was on the receiving end of his fourth touchdown of the year when he caught a 17-yard pass from Jared Funk … All four of Matthews’ touchdowns have come from Funk.
• Matthews has scored a touchdown in four straight games … It is the first time a Commodore has had touchdowns in four straight games since the 2005 season when Earl Bennett had touchdown catches the last four games of the season and Cassen Jackson-Garrison scored touchdowns the last five games of the season.
• Matthews had a career-high seven receptions for 74 yards, topping his five catches against Tennessee.
• Andre Hal’s 32-yard kickoff return in the first quarter was the longest of his career, topping his previous high of 30 yards.
• Ryan Fowler’s 31-yard field goal at the end of the first half was his second of the game … It was Fowler’s second multi-field goal game of the season and sixth of his career.
• Punter Richard Kent had two punts blocked for the second time this season … He also had two punts blocked against Florida.