Postgame Notes - Kentucky
Nov. 11, 2017
Vanderbilt vs. Kentucky
Vanderbilt vs. Kentucky
Saturday, Nov. 11, 2017
Vanderbilt Stadium, Nashville, Tenn.
- Vanderbilt is in its 128th year of organized football.
- The Commodores wore their deep-water uniforms for the conference clash with Kentucky. The Commodores wore the names of fallen soldiers on the back of their jerseys with the military branch patch on the front in honor of Veterans Day.
- Kentucky won the toss and deferred to the second half. Vanderbilt received the opening kick.
- Attendance was 27,346.
- Vanderbilt captains for the game were Oren Burks, Trent Sherfield and Ryan White.
- The Commodores four-game November winning streak, dating back to last season, was snapped in the loss to Kentucky.
- It is only the second time this season the Commodores have lost a game in which they have scored first. The other time was a 34-27 loss to South Carolina. Vanderbilt moves to 4-2 this season when scoring first.
- LaDarius Wiley forced his first fumble of the season and the third of his career. Oren Burks recovered the fumble for his first of the season and third of his career.
- Ralph Webb busted loose for the opening touchdown on a 37-yard rush in the first quarter. It was one-yard shy of his season long rush against Ole Miss.
- Webb passed 44 rushing yards on his nine-yard second quarter rush and moved into 10th all-time for rushing yards in the SEC, passing Emmitt Smith. Webb finished with 70 rushing yards on the day.
- Oren Burks recorded his first sack of the season in the second quarter.
- Jordan Griffin set a career high in tackles with 12 against the Wildcats. His previous high was seven earlier this season against Ole Miss and Florida.
- Tre Herndon forced his first career fumble in the third quarter.
- Trent Sherfield hauled in eight receptions against the Wildcats. He has had at least two catches in every game this season and it is the most receptions since he had nine last season against Tennessee.
- Nathan Marcus caught a career-long 27-yard pass halfway through the third quarter.
- Kyle Shurmur rushed for a 14-yard touchdown late in the third quarter. It is his third career-rushing touchdown and they have all come this season.
- Oren Burks totaled 12 tackles, his second career double-digit tackle performance.
- Kyle Shurmur connected with Kalija Lipscomb for a 17-yard touchdown pass in the third quarter. He tied Jay Cutler (21) for the second most passing touchdowns in a season in school history.
- Cameron Tidd forced his first career fumble in the fourth quarter. He also tied a career high in tackles with four.
- Vanderbilt has rushed for a touchdown in seven games this season after Ralph Webb’s scored in the first quarter.
- The Commodores had nine different receivers catch a pass against Kentucky. It is the third game this season they have nine or more catch a pass.
- The Commodores have forced a turnover in six games this season after Oren Burks recovered a fumble in the first quarter.
- The Commodores have recorded a sack in every game this season after Oren Burks got one in the second quarter.
- Vanderbilt forced three fumbles against the Wildcats. It is the third time this season they have had two or more in one game.
Special Team Notes
- Sam Loy punted four times for an average of 45.2 yards per kick.
- Trent Sherfield and Chris Pierce combined to pin the Wildcats at their one-yard line after a 49-yard punt by Sam Loy.
- Jamauri Wakefield return four kicks for an average of 24.0 yards.