Nov. 6, 2010
Box Score |
Vanderbilt – Florida Postgame Notes
Nov. 6, 2010 Nashville, Tenn.
• Vanderbilt is in its 121st year of organized football.
• The Commodores wore gold jerseys with white pants.
• Vanderbilt won the toss and deferred until the second half.
• The attendance was 33,840.
• Today marked the 44th meeting between Vanderbilt and Florida.
• Vanderbilt trails in the all-time series 9-33-2.
• Vanderbilt has now lost 20 straight in the series with Florida.
• Vanderbilt’s last win was a 24-9 victory in 1988.
• Vanderbilt had its first punt of the season blocked by Florida’s Chris Rainey in the first quarter … The last time Vanderbilt had a punt blocked was also against Florida in 2008 when Carlos Dunlap blocked a Brett Upson punt.
• Florida scored a touchdown following the blocked punt to put the first points of the game on the scoreboard … Vanderbilt is 0-5 this season when it has failed to score first … Vanderbilt had scored first in its previous two games (South Carolina and Arkansas) … Vanderbilt is 2-2 this season when it scores first.
• Vanderbilt has scored first only six times in 21 games – against Arkansas Oct. 30, South Carolina Oct. 23, Eastern Michigan Oct. 9, Ole Miss Sept. 18 and Western Carolina and Rice in 2009 … All were wins until the South Carolina game.
• The 41 first-half points were the most surrendered by the Commodores this season … It was the most first-half points given up in a half since Auburn scored 42 points on Oct. 13, 1990 … The 42-point deficit was Vanderbilt’s largest half-time deficit since trailing by 45 points (52-7) at intermission against Alabama Sept. 29, 1990.
• The blocked punt in the third quarter by Ryan van Rensburg was the first by a Commodore since Darlron Spead blocked a punt against Kentucky on Nov. 11, 2006.
• The touchdown off a blocked punt was the first by a Vanderbilt player since Matt Stewart against Florida on Nov. 4, 2000.
• The 110 yards of total offense was a season low by Vanderbilt … Its previous low was 135 yards against LSU.
• The seven first downs for Vanderbilt were a season low.
• The 55 points surrendered were a season-high by Vanderbilt and the most given up by the Commodores since Georgia Tech scored 56 on Oct. 31, 2009.
• Cornerback Casey Hayward is the team’s active leader with 21 consecutive starts.
• Defensive ends Johnell Thomas and Walker May made the first starts of their careers.
• Freshman defensive back Andre Hal made the first start of his career at nickelback.
• Vanderbilt has now had 21 new starters this year … Vanderbilt has had 13 new starters on defense this season, seven on offense and one specialist.
• Linebacker Chris Marve earned his first solo sack of the season on Florida’s first possession … Marve registered his second sack of the game in the third quarter … The multi-sack game was the first of Marve’s career.
• Defensive tackle Rob Lohr registered his fourth sack of the season and third in three games in the third quarter … Lohr leads the team in sacks.
• Defensive tackle Colt Nichter earned his second solo sack of the season … Nichter now has 2.5 sacks this season … He had half a sack against Arkansas last week.
• Marve finished the game with a team-best nine tackles.
• Making his first start of the game, defensive back Andre Hal finished with a career best seven tackles.
• Defensive back Karl Butler had the first interception of his career in the fourth quarter.
• Freshman wide receiver Jordan Matthews caught his first touchdown pass of his career from quarterback Jared Funk with 39 seconds to play in the game.
• Freshman Wesley Tate gained a season-best 41 yards on seven carries before leaving the game due to injury.
• Ryan van Rensburg blocked a Florida punt that was recovered by Javon Marshall for a touchdown with 11:00 to play in the third quarter.
• For the third straight game punter Richard Kent had a punt of 60-plus yards.