Oct. 23, 2010
Box Score |
AP Photo Gallery
Vanderbilt - South Carolina Postgame Notes
Oct. 23, 2010 Nashville, Tenn.
• Vanderbilt is in its 121st year of organized football.
• In the first quarter, Vanderbilt recognized the family of 2010 recruit Rajaan Bennett.
• The Commodores wore all black uniforms for the second time this season and the second straight home game.
• South Carolina won the toss and deferred until the second half.
• The attendance was 33,425.
• Today marked the 20th all-time meeting between Vanderbilt and South Carolina.
• South Carolina leads the all-time series 16-4.
• Vanderbilt is 2-9 all-time against South Carolina in Nashville.
• Despite the loss, Vanderbilt has won two of the last four meetings against South Carolina.
• In the last four meetings, Vanderbilt and South Carolina have each scored 58 points.
• Vanderbilt is now 25-37-3 in its homecoming games since World War II.
• Vanderbilt has lost eight straight homecoming games ... VU's last victory came against UConn in 2002.
• Vanderbilt is 16-32-4 against SEC foes on homecoming ... Vanderbilt's last homecoming win against an SEC opponent came in 1998 - a 17-14 decision.
• The first quarter ended in a scoreless tie ... The last time both team's failed to score in the first quarter against Ole Miss.
• Vanderbilt built a 7-0 lead in the game, scoring first for just the third time this season ... Vanderbilt won its previous two games it had scored first (Ole Miss and Eastern Michigan).
• Before tonight's loss, Vanderbilt had won its last five games that it has scored first - dating back to the 2008 Music City Bowl.
• The last time Vanderbilt had lost when it scored first was Nov. 29, 2008 at Wake Forest.
• Vanderbilt has scored first only five times in 19 games - against South Carolina Saturday, Eastern Michigan Oct. 9, Ole Miss Sept. 18 and Western Carolina and Rice in 2009 ... All were wins until tonight.
• Vanderbilt's 12-play, 83-yard touchdown drive capped by a Larry Smith rushing touchdown was its Second longest drive of the season in terms of plays and third longest in terms of yards.
• Vanderbilt's 180 yards of offense were the most of the season against an SEC opponent.
• South Carolina's nine penalties for 60 yards were the most by a VU opponent this season ... The previous high for yards and penalties was Northwestern, who had five penalties for 40 yards ... Ole Miss also had 40 yards of penalties.
• Vanderbilt's four sacks were a season high ... Vanderbilt had three sacks against Northwestern and Eastern Michigan.
• The 484 yards surrendered to South Carolina were the second-most yards given up by VU this season (547 at Georgia).
• Redshirt freshman tight end Mason Johnston made the first start of his career.
• Freshman center Logan Stewart made the first start of his career ... Stewart is the third true freshman to start this season for the Commodores ... Also making starts this season have been receiver Jonathan Krause and safety Kenny Ladler.
• Defensive tackle T.J. Greenstone made his return to the field during South Carolina's first possession of the game.
• Cornerback Casey Hayward is the team's active leader with 19 consecutive starts. • The Commodores have played 13 true freshmen this season.
• Cornerback Casey Hayward picked off his fifth pass of the year with 10:21 to play in the third quarter ... Hayward has seven interceptions in his career ... Hayward's five interceptions puts him in a tie for most in the NCAA with Ohio's Donovan Fletcher entering Saturday.
• Hayward's five interceptions this season puts him in a tie for eighth in school history for most interceptions in a season.
• Hayward's nine tackles tied a season high (Georgia).
• Safety Sean Richardson registered the first sack of his career in the first quarter.
• Richardson tied a season-high with 11 tackles (Ole Miss) ... Richardson's career high was 12 tackles at South Carolina last year.
• Defensive back Steven Clarke registered the first sack of his career in the second quarter.
• Clarke set a career high with eight tackles.
• Defensive tackle Rob Lohr registered his second sack of his career and second of the season ... His first sack was during the Ole Miss game Sept. 18.
• Safety Kenny Ladler had the first pass breakup of his career in the second quarter.
• Linebacker Chris Marve had the first pass breakup of his career.
• Defensive end Walker May had two tackles-for-loss and now has 4.5 tackles-for-loss this season.
• Defensive end Tim Fugger had two tackles-for-loss and now has 4.5 tackles-for-loss this season.
• Fugger and May combined for a sack ... Fugger now has 2.0 sacks this season ... May has 1.5 sacks this season.
• Linebacker Nate Campbell forced the first fumble of his career in the first quarter.
• Defensive end Johnell Thomas had a tackle-for-loss and now has three tackles-for-loss this year.
• Larry Smith's three-yard run with 10:24 to play in the second quarter was his third rushing touchdown of the season ... It was the fifth rushing touchdown of his career ... Smith had two rushing touchdowns in 2009.
• Smith's 15 carries tied a season high.
• Warren Norman's 40-yard run on the team's first play was his third longest of the season ... It was his longest rush since gaining 80 yards at Ole Miss Sept. 18.
• Brandon Barden's 22-yard reception in the first quarter was his third longest of the season ... It was the second straight game he has had a possession of 20-plus yards.
• Barden finished with three catches for 47 yards ... It was the second-most receiving yards for Barden this season.
• Vanderbilt attempted an unsuccessful fake punt on the team's first possession.
• Richard Kent's 60-yard punt with 10:30 to play in the third quarter was a career long.
• Defensive end Walker May blocked a 26-yard field goal by South Carolina with 12:52 to play ... It was May's first blocked field goal and the second of the season by Vanderbilt ... T.J. Greenstone blocked a field goal against Northwestern on Sept. 4.