Vanderbilt - UAB postgame notes
Sept. 28, 2013
Vanderbilt - UAB Postgame Notes
September 28, 2013
• Vanderbilt is in its 124th year of organized football.
• The Commodores wore black helmets and pants with gold jerseys for the first time this year.
• Vanderbilt won the toss for the first time this season and deferred to the second half with UAB electing to receive.
• Attendance was 32,467.
• Saturday's game was only the second meeting between the Commodores and the Blazers.
• With the win, the Commodores are now 10-2 in their last 12 games.
• Vanderbilt is now 2-0 against UAB and 49-39-3 against Conference USA opponents.
• The victory extends Vanderbilt's winning streak in non-SEC games to six games.
• Under James Franklin, the Commodores are 10-5 when playing at Vanderbilt Stadium.
• Wesley Johnson started his 43rd-straight game at tackle for the Commodores. He is the active leader in starts.
• Kris Kentera was named a starter for the first time this year at HB.
• Fitz Lassing picked up his first reception on the year on a five-yard grab.
• Jonathan Krause has now had a reception of 33 or more yards in four of the last five games.
• Jerron Seymour has rushed for one touchdown in each of the first five games this season. His two rushing TDs Saturday set a new career-high.
• Jordan Matthews has now recorded at least one reception in his last 26 games.
• Matthews' 45-yard catch at the end of the first quarter is his second-longest reception of the year (55 yards vs. Ole Miss).
• Carey Spear's 50-yard field goal in the second quarter marked the fourth of his career from 50-plus, making him the first Vanderbilt kicker with four career field goals of at least 50 yards.
• Darrius Sims' 42-yard kick return matches his career-high set last weekend against UMass.
• Jerron Seymour's 58-yard touchdown run was the longest rush of his career and longest rushing play for the Commodores this season.
• Jerron Seymour finished the game with a career-high 107 yards rushing and 152 all-purpose yards.
• Wesley Johnson was called for the first holding penalty of his career in the second quarter. Johnson had played 42-straight games without a holding call.
• Barron Dixon picked up his first sack of the season and second of his career.
• Kenny Ladler's interception in the second quarter was his first of the season and fifth of his career.
• Austyn Carta-Samuels picked up his fourth rushing touchdown of the season.
• Adam Butler recorded two tackles for loss. He has now has a TFL in his last three games.
• Larry Franklin picked up his first career sack early in the third quarter.
• Jordan Matthews moved up the career reception chart with his eight receptions Saturday night. He now stands alone in third place with 190 career receptions.
• Wesley Tate's touchdown in the third quarter was his first since he scored two in the season opener against Ole Miss.
• Jonathan Krause recorded his second-straight 100+ yard receiving game with 108 yards on four catches.
• Austyn Carta-Samuels crossed the 1,000-yard mark for the season with a VU career-best 334 yards.
• Austyn Carta-Samuels is the first Vandy QB since Jay Cutler in 2005 to have two or more 300+ yards passing games in a season.
• Austyn Carta-Samuels has thrown at least one touchdown in every game this season and now has eight TD passes this year.
• Fitz Lassing picked up his first touchdown of the season on a five-yard reception. It marks the second TD of his career and the first since 2011. Lassing also posted career-highs in receptions (3) and yards (18).
• Jordan Matthews' 115 receiving yards mark the 14th time in his career and fourth time this season with 100+ yards receiving.
• Jordan Matthews' touchdown in fourth quarter gave him 21 in his career, tying him for the school record with Dan Stricker (1999-2002).
• Darreon Herring recorded his first career interception with a pick in the second half.
• Freshman Patton Robinette scored his first career TD with an eight-yard run in the fourth quarter.
• For the first time in school history the Commodores had a passer throw for over 300 yards (Austyn Carta-Samuels), a rusher over 100 yards (Jerron Seymour) and two receivers over 100 yards (Jordan Matthews and Jonathan Krause).
• Jerron Seymour's seven-yard rush in the first quarter for a score was just Vanderbilt's second touchdown in the first quarter this season.
• Jerron Seymour's 58-yard rush marked the longest play from scrimmage for the Commodores this season.
• The 58-yard rush also marks the longest rushing play since Zac Stacy's school-record 90-yard rush against Wake Forest last season.
• Jerron Seymour's career-best 107 yards marks the first time a Commodore has rushed for 100+ yards this season.
• The Vanderbilt offense has now scored at least 24 points in its last 11 games, dating back to last season. • Austyn Carta-Samuels completed passes to eight different receivers on the night, marking the most this season.
• Vandy's 540 yards of total offense are the most this season and the first time the 'Dores have gone above 500 yards since Presbyterian last season.
• Vanderbilt's 23 first downs matches a season-best (at UMass).
• The Vanderbilt starting lineup remained the same from a week ago against UMass, with the `Dores coming out in a 4-3.
• Ladler's pick was the second of the season for the Commodores. Herring's pick in the fourth quarter is the first multi-interception game since the Music City Bowl.
• Vanderbilt held UAB to 4-of-15 on third down.
• Carey Spear kicked his second 50-plus yard field goal of the season with a 50-yard boot in the first half.
• Darrius Sims returned four kicks for 96 yards, including a 42-yard return that equaled a season-best.