Dec. 27, 2013
Vanderbilt Gamenotes | Saint Louis Gamenotes
After a nine-day break for the Christmas holiday, the Commodores return to the Memorial Gym hardwood for a contest with Atlantic 10 Conference member Saint Louis. The game will tip off at 8 p.m., and air live on ESPNU, with the radio call coming on the Vanderbilt IMG College Radio Network in middle Tennessee and online at vucommodores.com with play-by-play voice Joe Fisher and color analyst Tim Thompson.
Vanderbilt won its third consecutive game on December 21 in their last time out with a 76-63 win over ACC foe Georgia Tech at Memorial Gym. Senior Rod Odom scored 18 points on 6-of-8 shooting, 4-of 5 from three, to lead Vanderbilt. Junior guard Dai-Jon Parker tallied 13 points, and senior guard Kyle Fuller tallied 12 points, 6 rebounds, and 5 assists in the winning effort. The Commodores trailed by as many as 14 in the first half, but held the Yellow Jackets scoreless for the last six minutes of the first half and outscored Georgia Tech 35-8 at the end of the first half and beginning of second.
Monday's meeting will be the ninth overall between the two schools, with Vanderbilt holding a 5-3 advantage in the series. The Commodores lead the series with the Billikens, 3-0, in game played in Nashville.
Lower level tickets in the Vanderbilt student section are available for $18. Call 615-322-GOLD, visit vucommodores.com, or come by the McGugin Center ticket office to purchase tickets.
Football Team Honored
The 2013 Vanderbilt football team will be honored at the half prior to their trip to Birmingham for the BBVA Compass Bowl. The squad will also sign autographs prior to the contest.
Game 11/Vanderbilt (7-3) vs. Saint Louis (11-2)
Nashville, Tenn. - Memorial Gym - 8 p.m. CT
Radio: Vanderbilt Radio Network from IMG College, vucommodores.com
Radio Talent: Joe Fisher (pxp), Tim Thompson (analyst)
TV Talent: Rich Hollenberg (pxp), Carolyn Peck (analyst)
Satellite Radio: Sirius 85, XM 85
Live Stats: vucommodores.com
Twitter Updates: @VandyMBB
Series Record: Vanderbilt leads series, 5-3.
Last Meeting: SLU win, 78-74, on 12/3/97 in St. Louis.
Record at Vanderbilt: VU leads, 3-0
Record at SLU: SLU leads, 3-1
Record at Neutral Site: VU leads, 1-0.
Coach Stallings vs. SLU: Coach Stallings has never faced Saint Louis.
About Saint Louis
- The Billikens are riding a five-game win streak heading into Monday night’s game. St. Louis’ two losses this year have come against natinoally ranked Wisconsin and Wichita State.
- Dwayne Evans leads all Billiken players with 15.9 points per game. Jordair Jett also averages double figures with 10.5.
- Vanderbilt owns a 5-3 advantage in the overall series with St. Louis, with the last meeting coming in 1997-98 in St. Louis (L, 74-78). The Commodores are 3-0 all-time against the Billikens at Memorial Gym, with the last meeting coming on December 31, 1996, in a 81-61 Commodore win.
- Commodore head coach Kevin Stallings is from Collinsville, Ill., a short drive from St. Louis.
- This is the first of a home-and-home series between the two teams. Vanderbilt will play in St. Louis next season.
Odom One of SEC's Top Shooters
Rod Odom is having quite the senior campaign, averaging 13.3 points and 5.5 rebounds per game, while shooting 45.9% from three and 73.1% from the free-throw line. Odom is 2nd in the SEC in 3-point percentage and ranks 29th nationally, while also ranking 2nd in the SEC in 3’s made (2.8/game) and 50th nationally. Odom’s career averages entering the season were 5.5 ppg and 3.0 rpg, respectively.
Henderson Out For Remainder of Season
Redshirt Junior Josh Henderson, who was averaging 6.6 points and 4.3 rebounds per game this season, tore his ACL, MCL and lateral meniscus against Marshall on December 5 and will miss the rest of the 2013-14 campaign. Expected recovery is eight to nine months.
- The Georgia Tech game marked the first time this season Vanderbilt did not score first.
- The Commodores last faced an Atlantic 10 opponent on December 29, 2012, when Butler was a member of the league. The Bulldogs beat Vanderbilt, 68-49, at Memorial Gym.
- Vanderbilt has outshot their opponent in nine of 10 games this year, and have a 7-2 record in those contests.
- The Commodores' 13-point victory over Georgia Tech was its largest margin of victory this season.
Close Losses to Good Opponents
Vanderbilt's three losses this year have come at Butler that went to overtime (L, 85-77), to Providence in the Virgin Islands (held a 16-point lead), and at Texas, where the Commodores had a chance to tie the game late. The combined record of those three teams is 27-6.
Record Against the Atlantic 10
Vanderbilt is 20-7 all-time against current members of the Atlantic 10 conference.
Northeastern Game Time Set
The Commodores will tip off their game with Northeastern on January 4 at 8 p.m. CT. The game is on the same day as the football team's BBVA Compass Bowl in Birmingham, and fans can gain free admittance to the basketball game when they bring their ticket stub from the football game.
Northeastern, League Play Next For Commodores
Vanderbilt will play its last non-league game of the season on January 4th when Northeastern comes to Memorial Gym for an 8 p.m. tip off. The game will not be televised. SEC play begins for Vanderbilt on the road at Alabama on January 7.
Non-Conference Success at Memorial
Vanderbilt has a 90.4% winning percentage against non-conference opponents since 1990 (187-20).