Dec. 20, 2013
Vanderbilt Gamenotes | Georgia Tech Gamenotes
The Commodores will play their last game before the holiday break Saturday afternoon at Memorial Gym when ACC member Georgia Tech comes to Nashville for a 3 p.m. CT tip off. The game will air live on FSN, and the action can be heard on the Vanderbilt IMG College Radio Network in middle Tennessee and online at vucommodores.com.
Vanderbilt won its second straight two-point decision in its last time out, this time against Austin Peay on December 17 at Memorial Gym in a 58-56 decision against the Governors. Freshman Damian Jones scored 12 points to lead all Commodore scorers, with Rod Odom adding 11 points and Kyle Fuller pitching in 10 points. Odom also added a career-high nine rebounds. Vanderbilt moved to 3-0 on the season when Jones leads the team in scoring, even though the Commodores shot a season-low 37.3% from the floor.
Saturday's meeting will be the 72nd meeting between the two schools, with Vanderbilt owning a 38-33 advantage in the series and a 13-1 record against the Yellow Jackets at Memorial Gym. The first meeting with Georgia Tech came 100 years ago in the 1913-14 season, a game the Commodores won, 55-41, in Atlanta.
Lower level tickets in the Vanderbilt student section are available for $18. Call 615-322-GOLD, visit vucommodores.com, or come by the McGugin Center ticket office to purchase tickets.
Game 10/Vanderbilt (6-3) vs. Georgia Tech (8-3)
Nashville, Tenn. - Memorial Gym - 3 p.m. CT
Radio: Vanderbilt Radio Network from IMG College, vucommodores.com
Radio Talent: Joe Fisher (pxp), Tim Thompson (analyst)
TV Talent: Tom Werme (pxp), Larry Conley (analyst)
Satellite Radio: Sirius 85, XM 85
Live Stats: vucommodores.com
Twitter Updates: @VandyMBB
Series Record: Vanderbilt leads series, 38-33.
Last Meeting: GT win, 63-51, on 12/6/08 in Atlanta.
Record at Vanderbilt: VU leads, 25-8
Record at GT: GT leads, 22-13
Record at Neutral Site: GT leads, 3-0
Coach Stallings vs. GT: Coach Stallings is 2-2 vs. Georgia Tech.
About Georgia Tech
- Georgia Tech is 8-3 on the season and has won three consecutive games.
- Marcus Georges-Hunt leads the Jackets in scoring with 12.7 points per game, with three others also averaging double figures - Trae Golden (12.6), Robert Carter, Jr. (11.0), and Daniel Miller (10.1).
- The Commodores own a 38-33 advantage in the overall series, and a 13-1 record against the Yellow Jackets in Memorial Gym. Georgia Tech and Vanderbilt were both charter members of the SEC in 1932, with the Jackets leaving the league in 1964.
- Since Georgia Tech left the conference in 1964, the teams have met five other times, with the Jackets winning three of the five meetings. The last meeting came on December 6, 2008, a game Georgia Tech won, 63-51, in Atlanta.
- Guard Trae Golden is 2-1 against the Commodores at Memorial Gym. The UT transfer averaged 5.7 ppg in those three games.
- This is the first of a home-and-home series between the two teams. Vanderbilt will play in Atlanta next season.
Odom One of SEC's Top Shooters
Senior forward Rod Odom is second on the team in scoring with 12.8 points per game, and is shooting 42.9% from three this year, 50 percentage points more than his career percentage (37.9). He is 2nd in the SEC in 3 Point FG % (.429) and 3rd in 3's made (2.7/game).
Henderson Out For Remainder of Season
Redshirt Junior Josh Henderson, who was averaging 6.6 points and 4.3 rebounds per game this season, tore his ACL, MCL and lateral meniscus against Marshall on December 5 and will miss the rest of the 2013-14 campaign. Expected recovery is eight to nine months.
- Vanderbilt has scored first in every contest this season.
- The Commodores last faced an ACC Opponent in the semifinals of the TicketCity Legends Classic on November 19, 2011, at the Meadowlands in New Jersey. Vanderbilt defeated N.C. State, 86-79, in that contest.
- Vanderbilt has outshot their opponent in eight of nine games this year, and have a 6-2 record in those contests.
- The Commodores are 2-0 in games decided by two points or less, and also 2-0 in games that tip off before 6 p.m. CT.
Close Losses to Good Opponents
Vanderbilt's three losses this year have come at Butler that went to overtime (L, 85-77), to Providence in the Virgin Islands (held a 16-point lead), and at Texas, where the Commodores had a chance to tie the game late. The combined record of those three teams is 27-5.
The three Vanderbilt newcomers this season, Eric McClellan, Damian Jones, and Luke Kornet, have accounted for 262 points this season, or 40.5% of the team's offensive production.
Record Against the ACC
Vanderbilt is 80-72 all-time against current members of the Atlantic Coast Conference.
Northeastern Game Time Set
The Commodores will tip off their game with Northeastern on January 4 at 8 p.m. CT. The game is on the same day as the football team's BBVA Compass Bowl in Birmingham, and fans can gain free admittance to the basketball game when they bring their ticket stub from the football game.
Christmas Break, St. Louis Next For Commodores
The Commodores will receive a few days off for the Christmas break, and then return for a home tilt with Saint Louis on December 30. Tip time for that game is 8 p.m., and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Non-Conference Success at Memorial
Vanderbilt has a 90.4% winning percentage against non-conference opponents since 1990 (186-20).