The Commodores return home to Memorial Gym for the first of two games before the holiday break when they take on Houston Baptist on Wednesday evening. Tip time is set for 6 p.m. CT, with the game airing live on the Pac 12 Network, on the radio with Joe Fisher and Tim Thompson on the Vanderbilt IMG Radio Network, and online on vucommodores.com.
Vanderbilt fell to 3-7 on the season on Sunday after dropping a 76-64 decision to #5/6 ranked Arizona State in Tempe, Ariz. Freshman Saben Lee scored a career-high 24 points to lead the Commodores, while also adding six assists, five rebounds, and four steals in a career-best 38 minutes of action. Junior Joe Toye also added a season-high 14 points.
Lee’s 24-point game was the most by a Commodore point guard since Wade Baldwin IV scored 25 points in a win at Tennessee on January 20, 2016. Lee’s four steals is also the most by a Commodore since Riley LaChance had four steals at Saint Mary’s on March 18, 2015 in the first round of the postseason NIT. Lee leads VU in assists per game.
Most Ranked Opponents in Non-Conference Play since 1988
The Commodores have already played four ranked opponents this season in USC (#10/#10), Virginia (RV/#25), Seton Hall (#20/#20), and Arizona State (#5/#6). The four ranked non-conference opponents is the most by a Commodore team since 1988, when Vanderbilt also played four (11/22 - # 2 Michigan, L, 66-91; 11/27 - #16 Ohio State, L, 82-97; 11/30 - #13 Louisville, W, 65-62; 12/7 - #8 North Carolina, L, 77-89).
According to KenPom.com, Vanderbilt has the 14th toughest schedule so far in the nation and the second-toughest among Power Five schools (Wisconsin 9th).
Vanderbilt (3-7) vs. Houston Baptist (4-8)
Nashville, Tenn. - Memorial Gym - 6 p.m. CT
TV: SEC Network +
TV Talent: Kevin Ingram (pxp), Shan Foster (analyst)
Radio: Vanderbilt Radio Network from IMG College, vucommodores.com
Radio Talent: Joe Fisher (pxp), Tim Thompson (analyst)
Satellite Radio: Sirius 138, XM 380
Live Stats: vucommodores.com
Twitter Updates: @VandyMBB
Series Record: First meeting
Last Meeting: First meeting
Record at Vanderbilt: NA
Record at HBU: NA
Record at Neutral Site: NA
Coach Drew vs. Houston Baptist: Coach Drew has never faced Houston Baptist.
More on Houston Baptist
- Houston Baptist enters the game Wednesday with a 4-8 record after losing to Michigan State, 107-62, on Monday night in East Lansing.
- Josh Ibarra leads the team in scoring and rebounding with 16.0 points and 10.0 rebounds per game. David Caraher (14.4), Ian DuBose (11.3), and Jalon Gates (10.8) also average double figures.
- The Commodores have two players from Houston - senior Jeff Roberson and freshman Maxwell Evans.
- The Huskies’ junior guard Stephen O’Suji played with Roberson at the Kinkaid School.
- Huskies’ junior guard Braxton Bonds is from Nashville and played at Christ Presbyterian Academy.
A Commodore Win Would…
- End a three-game losing streak.
- Be the first win ever against Houston Baptist and make the Commodores 7-0 all-time against Southland Conference teams.
- Move Vanderbilt’s record to 4-3 this season at Memorial Gym. 0-3 vs UConn, Northeastern 1-0,
- Make the Commodores’ record 2-3 against collegiate teams with the Huskies’ nickname (0-3 vs UConn, 1-0 vs. Northeastern).
Jeff Roberson: Mr Double-Double
Jeff Roberson has five double doubles on the season, the most in a season by a Commodore since Damian Jones had seven in the 2015-16 season. Seven is also the most by a Commodore since Will Perdue had 10 in his junior season (1986-87) and 16 in his senior season (1987-88).
Jeff Roberson is the team’s leading scorer and rebounder, averaging 13.5 points and 8.6 rebounds per game. Roberson leads the SEC in double doubles with five, and is second in the SEC in rebounding and first in defensive rebounding. Riley LaChance pitches in 11.3 points per game and Matthew Fisher Davis adds 10.9 points per game.
Vanderbilt Quick Hitters
- This season’s non-conference schedule features eight games against teams who played in the postseason a year ago. Five opponents, USC, Seton Hall, Virginia, Kansas State, and Middle Tennessee, all played in the 2017 NCAA Tournament, with NIT participant Belmont, 2017 NIT Champion TCU, and CollegeInsider.com Tournament team UNC Asheville also on the challenging slate.
- Commodore head coach Bryce Drew, now in his second season, led the Commodores to the NCAA Tournament in his first season in Nashville, marking the first time in the history of the program a first-year Vanderbilt coach led his team to the tournament. Overall, the Commodores made their 15th appearance in the NCAA Tournament and their first back-to-back appearances since making three consecutive tournaments from 2010-12.
- Vanderbilt has two 1,000-point scorers on their roster - Riley LaChance and Matthew Fisher-Davis, with Jeff Roberson 34 points away from the 1,000-point mark. LaChance is 2nd in the SEC in career returning scorers while Fisher-Davis is third behind Georgia’s Yante Maten. There has been only one other class of Vanderbilt players to have three 1,000-point scorers - the vaunted “F Troop” - Butch Feher, Joe Ford, and Jeff Fosnes in 1976.
- The Commodores return eight letter winners and three of their top four scorers in 2017-18 that advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the second consecutive year - seniors Matthew Fisher-Davis (13.9), Jeff Roberson (10.8), and Riley LaChance (10.5). Junior Joe Toye, who started in 13 games a year ago, also returns after averaging 6.4 points and 2.6 rebounds per game. In all, Vanderbilt returns 70.5% of its scoring and six players who started at least one game in 2016-17.
- Vanderbilt had five top-25 wins, six top-50 victories and 11 top-100 RPI wins a year ago, the overall toughest strength of schedule and toughest non-conference schedule in the nation, and were the only SEC team to sweep Florida.
SEC Three-Point Leaders
Of the top 20 season 3 pt FG %’s in SEC history, Vanderbilt has 5 of them.
4. Billy McCaffrey (51.2%, 1993)
7. Barry Booker (50.0%, 1987)
T9. Riley LaChance (48.6%)
12. John Jenkins (48.3%, 2010)
16. Shan Foster (46.9%, 2008).
On the top 20 SEC career 3-point % list with at least 300 attempts, Vanderbilt has six guys.
2. Booker 46%
3. McCaffrey 44.6%
8. Scott Draud 43.8%
8. Jenkins 43.8%
14. Dan Cage 42.6%
19. Foster 42.1%
Career and Single-Season Lists
Matthew Fisher-Davis is fifth in 3’s made in a career with 251. Riley LaChance’s 48.6% from three clip in 2016-17 was Vanderbilt’s 3rd-best all-time.
700th SEC Win
Vanderbilt is in its 85th SEC season and is a charter member of the league. The Commodores won their 700th league game at Florida, and all time against current members of the conference, Vanderbilt is 709-693.
Vanderbilt has made a 3-pointer in 1,009 consecutive games, a streak which began at the inception of the 3-point line in 1986-87. The Commodores rank third only to UNLV and Kentucky for the longest streak in Division I basketball. Vanderbilt, UNLV and Princeton are the only three schools in college basketball to have made at least one 3-pointer in every game played since the 3-point line was implemented.