Nov. 20, 2012
Vanderbilt basketball, which has only played two games in the first two weeks of the season, revs their 2012-13 campaign up in a big way when the Commodores fly to Disney World in Orlando to take on Davidson at 1 p.m. CT Thursday afternoon at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in the 2012 Old Spice Classic. The matchup with the Wildcats will be televised by ESPN2, and will begin a stretch of three contests in four days, with games slated for Thursday, Friday, and Sunday.
Friday and Sunday's games will also be televised on the ESPN Family of Networks (ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN3). The Commodores will play either Marist or West Virginia on Friday, and either Gonzaga, Clemson, Oklahoma, or UTEP on Sunday.
Game Three/VANDERBILT (1-1) vs. DAVIDSON (1-2)
OLD SPICE CLASSIC
Thursday, November 22 - 1 p.m. CST
Orlando, Fla. - ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex (5,000)
Radio: Vanderbilt Radio Network from IMG College, vucommodores.com
Radio Talent: Joe Fisher (pxp), Tim Thompson (analyst)
TV Talent: Rich Hollenberg (pxp), Len Elmore (analyst)
Live Stats: ESPN.com
Twitter Updates: @VandyMBB
Series Information with Davidson
Series Record: VU leads, 4-1
Last Meeting: Vanderbilt won the last meeting, 87-83, at Davidson on 12/7/11.
Record at Vanderbilt: 3-0
Record at Davidson: 1-1
Record at Neutral Site: NA
Coach Stallings vs. Davidson: Coach Stallings has a 2-0 record against Davidson in his career.
More on Davidson
- Davidson enters the game with a 1-2 overall record after a tough early-season schedule which included games at New Mexico and Milwaukee. The Wildcats return all five starters from last season.
- Vanderbilt leads the all-time series, 4-1.
- The Commodores and Wildcats are very familiar with each other having played the last two seasons in a home-and-home series. VU knocked off Davidson, 80-52, at Memorial Gym on 1/2/11, and also defeated the Wildcats, 87-83, last season (12/7/11) at Belk Arena.
- De’Mon Brooks leads the Wildcats with an impressive 20.0 points per game average, and he leads five Davidson players in double figures. Brooks also is tied for the team lead in rebounding with Jake Cohen at 6.3 rebounds per contest.
- Vanderbilt has won three preseason tournaments since 2007 - in 2007, the Commodores won the South Padre Island Invitational, in 2008, the Cancun Challenge, and last year, the TicketCity Legends Classic in New Jersey.
- True freshman A.J. Astroth is the Commodores’ only player from the state of Florida. Astroth played at Wharton High School in Tampa.
- 21 - The combined number of career starts of the Commodore starting five (Johnson, Fuller, Bright, Odom, Moats) heading into the matchup with Davidson. The total number of starts for the same five from Davidson - 262.
- Kedren Johnson leads the Commodores with a 19.5 ppg average, which places him third in the SEC.
- Freshman Kevin Bright leads the SEC in 3FG% (80%) and in defensive rebounding (6.5 per game).
Vanderbilt against the rest of the Old Spice Field
- The Commodores have never played Marist, Gonzaga, or UTEP, have played West Virginia once (0-1), Oklahoma twice (2-0), and Clemson 13 times (8-5).
- Vanderbilt’s only game with West Virginia came in the semifinals of the 2010 Puerto Rico Tip Off, with the Mountaineers escaping with a 74-71 win. VU’s last meeting with Oklahoma came in the first round of the 1994 NIT (W, 78-59), and the Commodores’ last meeting with Clemson also came in the 1994 NIT two rounds after the win over Oklahoma. Vanderbilt won that meeting, 89-74.