Nov. 14, 2012
The Last Meeting
November 11, 2011
Jenkins, Taylor carry 'Dores to win
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- John Jenkins scored 24 points, Jeffery Taylor added 21 and seventh-ranked Vanderbilt opened the season with a 78-64 victory over Oregon on Friday night.
Vanderbilt men's basketball travels Eugene, Oregon, this Friday evening when the Commodores take on Pac 12 foe Oregon at the Matthew Knight Arena for a 10 p.m. CT. The game will be televised on the Pac 12 Network and can be heard on the IMG College Vanderbilt Radio Network in the middle Tennessee area.
Game Two/VANDERBILT (1-0) at OREGON (2-0)
Fri., Nov. 16, 2012 - 10 p.m. CST
Eugene, Ore. - Matthew Knight Arena (12,369)
Radio: Vanderbilt Radio Network from IMG College, vucommodores.com
Satellite Radio: Sirius 123, XM 193
Radio Talent: Terry Jonz (pxp), Tim Thompson (analyst)
TV: Pac 12 Network (Comcast Channel 721, Dish Network Channel 413 in Nashville)
TV Talent: Mark Neely (pxp), Lenny Wilkins (analyst)
Live Stats: vucommodores.com
Twitter Updates: @VandyMBB
Series Record: Vanderbilt leads 5-2.
Last Meeting: Vanderbilt win, 78-64, on 11/11/11.
Record at Vanderbilt: 4-0
Record at Oregon: 0-1
Record at Neutral Site: 1-1
Coach Stallings vs. Oregon: Coach Stallings is 2-1 against Oregon.
More about Oregon
- Oregon enters the game with a 2-0 record and is led by guard Dominic Artis, who averages 13.0 points per game. Damyean Dotson (12.5), Carlos Emory (11.5), and Tony Woods (10.5) all average double figures for the Ducks.
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings coached against Dana Altman from 1994-99 in the Missouri Valley Conference when Stallings was coaching at Illinois State and Altman at Creighton. Stallings has compiled an 11-2 record Altman in his career.
- The Ducks participated in one of the more “magical” games in the 61-year history of Memorial Gym on November 30, 2005, when Nashville native Mario Moore hit a 30-foot shot at the buzzer to lead Vanderbilt to a 76-75 win over Oregon.
- The Commodores are 0-1 all-time in games played at Oregon, with the last meeting coming on 12/22/1998 (L, 90-70). Vanderbilt’s last trip to Oregon to play the Ducks came at the Pape Jam on 12/4/2004 at the Rose Garden in Portland. Oregon won that game, 75-65. VU also played against Oregon on a neutral floor at the Great Alaska Shootout on 11/28/1992 in a game the Commodores won, 83-81.
- The game Friday is the back end of a home and home series which began last season at Memorial Gym. The Commodores won that game, 78-64, on November 11, 2011.
Vanderbilt's Last Time Out
The Commodores began the year 1-0 with an 80-65 win over Nicholls State on Saturday at Memorial Gym. Sophomore guard Kedren Johnson led all scorers with 25 points.
Notes from the game:
The Commodores started juniors Rod Odom and Kyle Fuller, sophomores Kedren Johnson and Shelby Moats, and freshman Kevin Bright. It was Odom’s 11th career start, Fuller’s second, and the first for Johnson, Moats, and Bright.
With the abundance of new faces for the Commodores, a number of career highs were set on Saturday afternoon.
Returning player career highs:
Kyle Fuller - Points (15), FG Made (6), FG Attempted (13), 3FG Attempted (5), Assists (6), Minutes (36)
Kedren Johnson - Points (25), FG Made (8), FG Attempted (14), 3 FG Made (3), 3 FG Attempted (7), FT Made (6), FT Attempted (9), Rebounds (6), Assists (6), Minutes (38)
Shelby Moats - Points (8), FG Made (3), FG Attempted (7), 3FG Made (2), 3FG Attempted (5), Minutes (13)
Rod Odom - Minutes (27)
James Siakam - Points (4), FT Made (2), Assists (1), Minutes (9)
- With the win, Vanderbilt moves to 54-7 all-time in season openers at Memorial Gym and 13-1 in head coach Kevin Stallings’ 14-year career with the Commodores. The Commodores are also 9-0 all-time against the Southland Conference all time.
- Kedren Johnson led all players with 25 points. The Commodores’ starting backcourt tallied 55 points, 17 rebounds, and 13 assists on the night.
- Johnson’s 25-point effort was the first since John Jenkins scored 25 in the second round of the 2012 NCAA Tournament against Harvard.
- Vanderbilt out rebounded Nicholls State, 35-30. The Commodores scored 11 second-chance points, compared to 10 by Nicholls State.
55-17-13 - The combined total of Vanderbilt’s starting backcourt against Nicholls State when it comes to points, rebounds, and assists. Kedren Johnson, Kyle Fuller, and Kevin Bright totaled for a combined 55 points, 17 rebounds, and 13 assists.