Vanderbilt releases 2010-11 men's basketball schedule
Aug. 26, 2010
The Vanderbilt men's basketball team has announced its schedule for the 2010-11 season, a slate that includes nine weekend home games, 16 games on the ESPN family of networks, and a Saturday afternoon contest with Kentucky at Memorial Gym that will be televised on CBS. The Commodores will take on eight teams that advanced to the postseason in 2009-10, and could encounter two more at the 2010 Puerto Rico Tip-Off November 18-21 in San Juan.
- "We're excited about our schedule. We were very aggressive trying to schedule good teams, and we are playing a large number of them. There are several NCAA tournament teams on the schedule, including a potential matchup with a Final Four team in Puerto Rico (WVU) and a game against a team that made the Sweet 16 at home (Saint Mary's). There are a lot of quality games on the schedule.
" - "There are also some interesting local games our fans in Middle Tennessee should be excited about."
- "Obviously, this schedule will prepare us for the rigors of SEC play."
- Vanderbilt will play on ESPN five times this season, and could see as many as seven (two flex ESPN/ESPN2 games). The five games on ESPN marks the most the Commodores have ever played on the channel - the previous record was four in 2009-10.
- NCAA Tournament teams on this schedule include Missouri, Marquette, Tennessee, Saint Mary's, Florida, and Kentucky. Possible games with WVU and Minnesota, two more NCAA teams, in Puerto Rico are also on the slate. NIT teams on the schedule include Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and a possible matchup with perennial powerhouse North Carolina in Puerto Rico.
- First time since the fall of 2004 that Vanderbilt has had two exhibition games.
- In non-conference action, Vanderbilt could face 2010 Final Four participant West Virginia in the second round of the 2010 Puerto Rico Tip-Off and perennial powerhouse North Carolina in the final round. All games of the preseason tournament will be featured on the ESPN family of networks.
- Vanderbilt will face Presbyterian and Grambling State for the first time.
- Ironically, the Commodores took on Appalachian State the last time they were in Puerto Rico in the fall of 2006. The Mountaineers defeated Vanderbilt, 87-79, in the finals of the San Juan Shootout.
- Vanderbilt will face two teams in Memorial Gym that will also be at the Puerto Rico Tip-Off- Western Kentucky on December 1 and Davidson on January 2.
- The Commodores will welcome their neighbors, Belmont, to Memorial Gym on Dec. 4. Vanderbilt last faced the Bruins on November 21, 2003, at Belmont (W, 74-59), and last played in Memorial Gym on February 7, 2001 (W, 81-67).
- VU goes to Columbia, Missouri to take on Missouri for the first time since a 78-72 overtime loss on December 8, 1958. Vanderbilt defeated Missouri, 89-83, last year at Memorial.
- Vanderbilt makes its first trip to Murfreesboro to take on MTSU since February 1, 1995 (L-OT, 90-93).
- Marquette, a 2010 NCAA Tournament participant, comes to Memorial Gym for the first game of a home-and-home. The Commodores and Golden Eagles played at the same site of the 2010 NCAA Tournament in San Jose, Calif. Vanderbilt will make a trip to Marquette to return this game.
- Davidson makes its third all-time trip to Memorial Gym for a January 2nd matchup. The game with the Wildcats is the first in a home-and-home series.
- In the final non-conference game of the year, the Commodores take a break from SEC play to take on Saint Mary's at Memorial Gym on Saturday, January 22nd. The Gaels, a 2010 Sweet 16 participant, return a home game Vanderbilt played in Moraga, Calif., last year (W, 72-70). It will be Vanderbilt's first non-conference game played during the heart of the SEC schedule since a game against Texas-Pan American on February 7, 2005.
- Vanderbilt will appear on CBS once (vs. Kentucky, noon) and Super Tuesday three times (at Florida, 3/1; Tennessee, 2/22; at Kentucky, 3/1).
- The Tennessee game in Knoxville will be an 11 a.m. Central time tip, and will be part of a doubleheader with the Vanderbilt women later that night on ESPN Gameday.
- Vanderbilt plays at Mississippi State on January 27. Starkville is the only place in the SEC that head coach Kevin Stallings has not won. The Commodores' last win at Mississippi State came in the 1992-93 season (80-39).
- The Commodores wrap up their season series with South Carolina on February 5 in Memorial Gym. Vanderbilt opens its SEC slate in Columbia on January 8.
- Vanderbilt will face Kentucky on February 12 at Memorial Gym. It marks the first time since 2003 that VU will face the Wildcats in Nashville first, and February 12 is the latest the first Vanderbilt-Kentucky game has fallen since 2002, when both teams faced off on February 13 of that year.
- The Commodores will take on Auburn in their new arena on February 19.
- The game at Rupp Arena on Tuesday, March 1, marks the first time since January 10, 2006, that the Commodores have played on a weekday at Rupp. The previous four contests in Lexington have come on a Saturday.
- The SEC Tournament returns to the Georgia Dome March 10-13.
- Click on the schedules above for times. The game on November 27 against Appalachian State is TBA because of a home football game with Wake Forest that day.
Men's Basketball Headlines