Feb. 8, 2013
The Commodores will open a three-game home stand this Saturday afternoon when they take on Arkansas at Memorial Gym. The game will tip at 12:47 p.m., and televised regionally on the SEC Network, with the game also being heard on the Vanderbilt IMG College Radio Network in middle Tennessee and online at vucommodores.com.
Game 22/VANDERBILT (8-13, 2-7) vs. ARKANSAS (14-8, 5-4)
Nashville, Tenn. - Memorial Gym - 12:47 p.m.
Radio: Vanderbilt Radio Network from IMG College, vucommodores.com
Radio Talent: Joe Fisher (pxp), Tim Thompson (analyst)
Satellite Radio: Sirius 123, XM 200
TV: SEC Network
TV Talent: Clay Matvick (pxp), Joe Dean (analyst)
Live Stats: vucommodores.com
Twitter Updates: @VandyMBB
Series Record: Arkansas leads the all-time series, 18-9.
Last Meeting: Arkansas defeated VU, 56-33, on 1/12/13 in Fayetteville.
Record at Vanderbilt: VU leads 7-5.
Record at Ark.: Arkansas leads 10-2.
Record at Neutral Site: Arkansas leads 3-0.
Coach Stallings vs. Arkansas: Coach Stallings is 4-12 against Arkansas.
About Arkansas and the Series
- Arkansas enters the game with a 14-8 record after defeating #2-ranked Florida on Tuesday night in Fayetteville, 80-69. The Razorbacks are also looking for their first road win of the season.
- B.J. Young leads all Razorback scorers with 16.5 points per game. Marshawn Powell also averages double figures with 15.1 points per contest.
- Arkansas defeated Vanderbilt, 56-33, in the first meeting between the two schools on Jan. 12.
- Coach Stallings is 4-12 all-time against the Razorbacks, and 3-3 against Arkansas at Memorial Gym.
- This will be the 27th meeting between the two schools, and the first time the two teams have played twice in same season since 2008.
'Dores Three-Point Streak Still Intact
Vanderbilt has made a 3-pointer in 853 consecutive games, a streak which began at the inception of the 3-point line in 1986-87. The Commodores rank second only to UNLV for the longest streak in Division I basketball. Vanderbilt, UNLV and Princeton are the only three schools in college basketball to have made at least one 3-pointer in every game played since the 3-point line was implemented.
Close Losses in League Play
The Commodores scored 30 bench points against Auburn on January 23, the most for a Vanderbilt team since VU scored 35 bench points against Bucknell on November 15, 2011. In the last five games, Vanderbilt has averaged 24.8 bench points per game.
Variety of Success
The Commodores have been led in scoring by five different players this season, in rebounding by eight nine players, and six different leaders in assists. Of the 10 players who have played in SEC games, nine have received a start.
Three Straight At Memorial Gym
The Commodores will play three consecutive games at Memorial Gym beginning this Saturday against Arkansas.
Freshmen Kevin Bright and Sheldon Jeter have had an impact on this year’s Commodore team, especially in league play. In SEC games only, the two have combined to shoot 41.9% from the floor, with Jeter also leading the team in rebounding in league games only at 4.9 rebounds per game. Jeter is averaging 7.1 points in league games, while Bright is adding 6.7 points per game.