Jan. 28, 2012
Box Score |
Dubois' Gallery |
rv/rv Vanderbilt 84, rv/rv Middle Tennessee 77
January 28, 2012
Memorial Gymnasium - Nashville, Tenn.
- Vanderbilt improves to 29-4 against the Blue Raiders in the all-time series, and a perfect 16-0 mark at home against Middle Tennessee.
- Stallings is now 4-0 versus MTSU, and is 375-216 as a head coach. He improves to 252-153 with the Commodores.
- Vandy has now won 10 of its last 11 games.
- Vandy won the tip and is now 14-4 when doing so.
- The Commodores opened the game with a tip in layup by Taylor, and are now 10-3 when scoring first.
- Tinsley's three-pointer with 18:23 to play in the first half increased the Commodores' consecutive game streak with a three-pointer to 817.
- With 26 points from Jenkins and 21 by Ezeli, it was the first time since December 7, 2011 (at Davidson) that two Commodores scored at least 20 points in the same game.
- Vanderbilt overcame zero bench points in the win. It was the first time the VU bench failed to score a point since the SEC Tournament contest against Florida on March 12, 2011.
- Jenkins led the Commodores with 26 points in the contest. He has scored in double figures for 54 straight games, and 73 times in his career. It was the 12th time this season and 33rd time in his career that he scored 20 or more points.
- With four three-pointers in the game, Jenkins has now made a three in 41 straight games.
- Jenkins moved into fifth place in Vandy history with 250 three-pointers made, passing Barry Booker.
- Ezeli added a season-high 21 points in the contest. It marked the fourth time in 11 games this year he reached double figures, and the 31st time in his career. Ezeli has now scored 20 or more points 22 times in his career.
- Going 11-13 from the charity stripe, Ezeli recorded a career-high free throws made.
- Taylor chipped in with 17 points in the game. It was the 20th time this year he scored in double figures, and the 92nd time of his career.
- Taylor surpassed Charles Davis (1977-81) for ninth on the Vanderbilt all-time scoring list and now has 1,680 career points.
- Tinsley led VU with four assists in the game, giving the senior 427 for his career, moving past Derrick Wilcox for fifth place in Vanderbilt history.
- Goulbourne led Vanderbilt with eight rebounds, and added 11 points in the win.
First Half Notes:
- MTSU went on a 10-0 run from 17:35 to 14:25, taking a 12-7 lead over Vanderbilt.
- Vanderbilt scored seven straight points from 5:00 to 3:08 to play in the first half, taking the lead at 35-33, its first since 7-5 at the 17:35 mark.
- The Commodores took a 44-39 lead into the break. VU is now 7-0 when scoring 40 or more points in the first half this year, and 15-3 when leading at the break.
- Vanderbilt allowed MTSU to shoot 60.9% from the floor and 62.5% from beyond the arc during the first period. Both marked the best first half shooting by a VU opponent this season.
Second Half Notes:
- The Blue Raiders scored nine straight points from 12:33 to 9:15 to take a 64-59 lead midway through the second half.
- A pair of conventional three-point plays by Jenkins on consecutive Vanderbilt possessions gave the Commodores a 73-72 lead with 4:26 to play in the game. It was their first lead since 59-57 at the 12:33 mark of the second half.
- The Commodores ended the game on an 8-1 run, giving Vanderbilt the 84-77 victory.