Jan. 8, 2011
South Carolina 83, Vanderbilt 75 (OT)
January 8, 2011 – Colonial Life Arena – Columbia, S.C.
• Vanderbilt started junior Brad Tinsley at guard, sophomore John Jenkins, juniors Jeffery Taylor and Lance Goulbourne at forward and junior Festus Ezeli at center. Vanderbilt is now 1-2 when starting that lineup.
• Taylor has now started in every game of his career (77). Tinsley made his 69th start, Ezeli his 25th, Jenkins his 19th, and Goulbourne his third.
• Vanderbilt led by seven at the half, 37-30. It was the first time in nine tries this season that the Commodores have lost a game after leading at the half.
• The Commodores outrebounded South Carolina 21-17 in the first half, but were outrebounded, 48-41, in the game.
• South Carolina now leads the career series, 24-23, and 12-9 in games played in Columbia.
• Head coach Kevin Stallings is now 6-6 in SEC openers.
• Vanderbilt is now 0-2 in its two overtime games in 2010-11.
• The Gamecocks outrebounded Vanderbilt, 48-41, including 19-14 in offensive rebounds. South Carolina outscored VU in second-chance points, 24-13. Vanderbilt is now 3-2 when outrebounded by its opponent.
• South Carolina made 10-of-27 threes, the most made threes against the Commodores this season. Grambling made nine threes against VU on November 24. It was only the second time this year a team has made more threes in a game than Vanderbilt (Vanderbilt was 7-of-20).
• John Jenkins made a three-point basket at the 11: 18 mark of the first half, which extended Vanderbilt’s consecutive games streak with a three-pointer to 776 games.
• Vanderbilt was 18-for-24 from the free-throw line, while South Carolina was 7-of-12.
• Ties: 2; Lead changes: 1
• VU largest lead: 14 (2nd half, 14:39)
• South Carolina outscored Vanderbilt, 40-30, in the paint, 9-8 in points off of turnovers, and 26-14 in bench points. The teams tied with six points apiece on fast-break points.
• John Jenkins led the team with 27 points, and made 6-of-10 three-point attempts. The 27-point effort tied for the team-best this season (Jenkins scored 27 against West Virginia, Jeffery Taylor scored 27 against Presbyterian). The six made threes tied a career-high for threes made in a game (last time at Florida, 3/2/10).
• Lance Goulbourne grabbed a career-high 14 rebounds. It was also the team’s season-high this season.
• Jeffery Taylor scored 14 points, but was 4-of-16 from the floor. The 16 field goal attempts ties a career high he set at Missouri earlier this year.
• Brad Tinsley dished out five assists, the eighth time this season and 18th time of his career he has accomplished the feat.
• Steve Tchiengang scored 10 points, his fifth double-digit scoring game of the season and his career.