June 4, 2011
Box Score |
Jones' Photos |
2011 NCAA Championships - Nashville, Tenn.
Game Four - Vanderbilt vs. Troy University
June 4, 2011 - Hawkins Field
Vanderbilt 10, Troy University 2
Official Attendance: 3323
Time of Game: 2:38
• With the victory Vanderbilt improves to 49-10 for the season and moves into the championship round. The Commodores will face the winner of Sunday's early game between Belmont and Troy, with the winner needing to defeat VU twice to win the regional.
• Vanderbilt upped its record to 17-5 in NCAA Regionals under head coach Tim Corbin and 20-14 overall in NCAA Regionals in program history.
• Grayson Garvin posted his 13th victory of the season in the win, a new single-season record at Vanderbilt. He surpassed Casey Weathers (2007) and Jeff Peeples (1973), who previously held the mark.
• Aaron Westlake hit a three-run homer in the game, giving the junior 170 career RBIs. He moved past Greg Thomas (168, 1991-93) and Ryan Flaherty (169, 2006-08) into fourth place on the career list at VU.
• Jason Esposito picked up his 66th career stolen base in the eighth inning, moving past Nick Morrow (1991-94) into seventh place on the all-time list.
• Vanderbilt scored 10 runs for the second straight game in the regional and the 20th time this season, upping its record to 20-0 when scoring 10-plus runs.
TROY UNIVERSITY NOTES
• With the defeat Troy dropped to 3-9 all-time in the NCAA Regionals in Division I and 1-5 all-time against Vanderbilt.
• T.J. Rivera's error in the fifth inning was the first of the weekend for the Trojans and just the 56th this season in 61 contests this season as a team. It was seventh error all season for Rivera in 309 total chances.
• Troy dropped to 9-13 this season in true road games and 12-14 away from Riddle-Pace Field.
• Troy entered the tournament leading the nation in doubles (146) and ranking second in doubles per game (2.47), but the Trojans have just a pair of two-baggers through two games and did not record an extra-base hit against the Commodores.