Sept. 3, 2010
AROUND THE WEB FRIDAY
- Baseball: Gray named Summer College Player Of The Year (Aaron Fitt, Baseball America)
- Football: Wolford goes into Vanderbilt Hall of Fame (Jeff Lockridge, The Tennessean)
- Football: Norman in line to start Saturday (Jeff Lockridge, The Tennessean)
- Football: Week 1- Did you know? (Chris Low, ESPN.com)
- Football: Opponent preview: Northwestern (Eric Single, InsideVandy.com)
- Football: 'Twas the night before football... (David Namm, InsideVandy.com)
- Football: Northwestern Quick Hitters (Skip Myslenski, NUsports.com)
- Football: Vandy coach nervous, ready for battle (Ron Higgins, The Commerical Appeal)
- Football: Northwestern injury report for Week 1 (Adam Rittenberg, ESPN.com)
- General: As athletic directors compete, money flows to minor sports (John Drape/Katie Thomas, New York Times)
IN THE PROS
- NFL: In the middle, Goff looks like answer (Steve Serby, New York Post)
- NFL: Bears, Williams - started at left tackle; Cutler - DNP; Hillenmeyer - DNP; Moore - punt returns 3-37; Bennett - DNP (Box Score)
- NFL: Buccaneers, Lewis - five tackles, two pass defended (NFL.com)
- NFL: Chiefs, Langford - tackle (NFL.com)
- NFL: Giants, Goff - seven tackles, INT, two pass defended (NFL.com)
- NFL: Redskins, Gatewood - tackle (NFL.com)
- NFL: Steelers, Matt Stewart - tackle (NFL.com)
- NFL: Titans, Haye - two tackles, sack (-10), QB hit; Winborn - three tackles (NFL.com)
- Cross Country: Dores open season on Friday (Laina Balafas)
- General: Joe's Mailbag - Quarterbacks, All Access (Joe Fisher)
- General: 97.1 RQQ Thursday Update with Joe Fisher (Audio)
VIDEOS OF THE DAY
Soccer junior Elizabeth Lillie interviewed assistant coach Derek Greene on Wednesday as VU prepares for its matchup with Tennessee Tech Friday night at the VU Soccer Complex.
Also, two more videos....
- Footage of Jonathan Goff's interception in the Giants' 20-17 win over the Patriots in preseason action last night. Click for Video
- Robbie Caldwell joins Joe Fisher to preview the Commodores' season opener with Northwestern. Click for Video
PHOTO OF THE DAY
Courtesy of the Vanderbilt Show Your Gold Facebook Fan Page: Check out the new Vanderbilt product at the Cracker Barrel in Brentwood, Franklin, Gallatin, Goodlettsville, Hendersonville, Smyrna, White House & Lebanon! The product is just inside the main entrance. Let's show Cracker Barrel that there are loyal Commodore fans who love to wear their spirit gear. GO Commodores!
QUOTES OF THE DAY
"I'm not going to have a shot at the NFL Hall of Fame, so this is my top honor. My parents passed away a couple of years ago and I think they would have gotten the biggest kick out of it."
-- Former Commodore lineman Will Wolford, who will be inducted into the Vanderbilt Sports Hall of Fame tonight (Source: The Tennessean)
"I didn't really understand why they needed a middle linebacker because I thought Jon fit the mold. I was just here doing what I was asked to do, and he's a guy that always worked at his craft since I've been here and continued to get better. He asks questions, he's open to constructive criticism. He has everything that it takes to be a solid professional in this league."
-- New York Giants linebacker Keith Bulluck on teammate (and former Dore) Jonathan Goff (Source: The City Paper)
"Forty pitches into his outing. I turned to the dugout and said, 'Sonny Gray is taking a professional approach to this.' If he missed his spot, it may have been one pitch. It didn't matter who he was pitching against, how good or bad they were, he was pitching at a major league level. Then he started pitching in the stretch on his own just to get work pitching out of the stretch for his next outing. That told me everything I needed to know about Sonny Gray. It was quality work at the highest level. He was pitching like it was the gold-medal game, against a team that had no shot at all to beat him."
--USA pitching coach Dave Serrano on Commodore pitcher Sonny Gray, who was named the 2010 Summer College Player Of The Year by Baseball America (Source: Baseball America)
REMINDER OF THE DAY
Commodore Fans: Mr. C is up for Capital One National Mascot of the Year! Spread the word and vote for him against Oregon's "Duck." Right now he is trailing so we need everyone to vote - Click here
TWEETS OF THE DAY
@ZooAmy: Today is College Colors Day and I'm wearing my GOLD! #vandy #sec #football #onemoreday
@MattRichWarren: Congrats to former Bills OL Will Wolford who joins the Vanderbilt Hall of Fame tonight.
@alex_v_cox: Mike&Mike just said there is no doubt that Northwestern beats Vanderbilt. Prove them wrong @RobbieCaldwell #GoDores
RANDOM VIDEO OF THE DAY
Two videos today...
First, Paul Blake is back.
Second, Andy Griffith's comedy classic on football (thanks AT)
Click here to send in your submission for "Random Video of the Day" and I may post it in a future entry.
SONG OF THE DAY
Queen @ Live Aid 1985 - We Will Rock You
CONNECT WITH US TODAY
Follow me on Twitter @BarcaBlog, and become a fan of the Commodores Facebook Fan Page
MORE BARCA BREAK
Thursday, September 2 | Wednesday, September 1 | Tuesday, August 31 | Monday, August 30 | GO TO ARCHIVE